No announcement yet.

Need some help selecting a carving knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the advice guys. Is much appreciated. Will have another go at it today all going well. I will try to find some technical info on this wood to see how it stacks up. Thanks for that bit of info Claude never thought to go down that path. I got the Kahikatea as I thought it might make a great timber for pyrography and might possibly be as close to basswood as I can get over here.

Comment

Congrats on your set of 3 of flex cuts, good knives and they do get sharp. Sharpness is the key to success.
      I have a bunch of the knives mentioned above and a few more, love em all.
      The point I would like to make is a nod towards the Mora knives.
      I bought the standard "Frost" Mora laminated knife from Rick Ferry over twenty years ago (the #105 ?). I had it in my head that was the kind of Sloyd knife the Trygg's used.
      I have put that knife through hell! Even used a hammer on it a couple times. One of the most useful tools I ever bought, carving and general use. I strop it on crocus cloth then regular strop.....gets pretty sharp from the base to the tip.
      Might come in handy for a cane carver.

Comment

Got the Pfeil carving knife....and out of the 45 CARVING knives that I own, it is one that should be in the trash can. Just my opinion mind you. Most of my chisels are Pfeil and they are top choices, but the knife

Comment

I think you’ll be happy with the Flexcut knives. I started out playing around with whittling with a utility knife, then I bought a name brand knife that I hated and lost interest. About a year later I bought a Flexcut knife and loved it. The two knifes I use are a Flexcut detail knife and an old Dexter (fishing or kitchen Knife?) that I got at an antique store for 5 bucks. I cut the Dexter down to 3” with a hacksaw, rough sharpened with a file, and finished on a wet stone. Now it’s the greatest knife....for me. I hone the knives on a piece of scrap wood with gold polishing compound on it, and finish it off on a piece of leather with the compound. Keep them sharp and you’ll be happy!
          Attached Files
          Anders.

Comment

Nobody brought it up so I remind you that farrier's hoof trimming knives should be in good supply in New Zealand. As the new ones might be costly, there's still a lifetime of wood carving steel in a farrier's knife too narrow for them to use.

On the Left Mora #171 left and right pair from Sweden.
            On the right, a pait of new Hall from Canada.
            In the middle, a pair that I have rehafted, surface mount
            and revised the bevel from 25 degrees to 15 degrees.

Crook 010.JPG

From time to time, I chop off the frog hook tip to get a shape that I need for inside corners, etc.

HaidaC.JPG

Go visit your local farriers. Might be some bargains.

Brian T

Comment

Now that is a nice piece of lateral thinking. thanks for that. Any yes Hoof trimming knives we have a plenty. Good idea.

Speaking of modifying stuff . If any of you get into silver ribbon inlay I make my 1 to 4mm wide chisels for making the groove to fit the ribbon into out of high carbon steel hacksaw blades and I use turned wood drawer handles to fit them into. Works a treat.

Comment

Recently, I bought a collection of 7 knives, Pacific Northwest First Nations designs for wood carving.
                Some are beautiful little flakes of steel for intricate shaping.
                In that, I got a double edged, flat knife. A carving knife design new to me.
                Very interesting to practice with when compared with any other single edged straight blade.

I suppose that few people will readily admit to having KAS (Knife Acquisition Syndrome.)
                At the same time, in wood carving, I find it hard to imagine one knife profile which can do everything and do everything very well.
                Brian T

Comment

I'm a certifiable toolaholic so I think it won't be long before something else falls in the gotta have basket. I will look up the knives you got. Thanks Brian.

Cheers
                  Glenn

Comment

Glenn:
                    This guy makes a range to look at. I have a couple.
                    Not very sharp, needed a lot of help but good steel.

The knives I bought as a group were made originally by the late Mike Komick
                    in Summerland, BC.

Cariboo Blades would make just about any design you could ask for.
                    Dang! Lost Scott's link.

Brian T

Comment

I think you have to get exposure to a few, use them, and get your own opinion.
                      Gamekeyssale | Game keys | gamekeyssale.com

Comment

I'm still at baby steps with knife carving at the moment,Think it will be a while before I make novicem grade with a knife but it is interesting to see what others are doing. I like to research stuff pretty thoroughly before I part with my cash on something new.

Have made some of my own knives for inletting inserts into guitar necks out of high carbon hacksaw blades. These work well for very fine work that I do using an engravers microscope. I do engraving as well.

Got a guitar to finish building and about 3 other projects I want to have a go at then I will have a serious go at knife carving. Want to have a crack at the little characters a lot of the guys make. Have seen some real beauties that the guys have done.

Comment

Working...
                        X