Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would one carve a half cylinder from a flat front face.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would one carve a half cylinder from a flat front face.

How would one carve a half cylinder from a flat front face.Side and front view. Thanks for any help. I want the cylinder to stick out not recessed
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jaeon; 06-17-2020, 11:25 AM.

Since the half cylinder is convex and all the way across the wood, most of us would bandsaw it.

Comment

I would carefully carve away the wood that was not part of the shape I wanted.
      Ed
      Living in a pile of chips.
      https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

Comment

Just what is going to be your total project?
        . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
          Since the half cylinder is convex and all the way across the wood, most of us would bandsaw it.
          He's saying he wants it convex (the way I understand him), but his illustration shows it to be concave. It also appears to simply be a notch in a flat surface. I think we need clarification.
          Arthur

Comment

Arthur, I think there's two drawings in that sketch. I believe he wants to carve a straight bead.
            If that's true, I can't imagine the size. I would carve up to a pair of parallel stop cuts as edges
            then round off the bead.
            Brian T

Comment

Looks like a router could work, but what sizes?
              Bill
              Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

If you have a sawbench set the blade to the maximum height of the raised section you want to have then make a cut each side of the width of the the raised section you want and just keep making cuts until you get to the outside edge of the board removing all the waste material Do the same for the other side and you will be left with a piece of wood with a square raised section in the middle or wherever you want it on the board then just shape the raised section until it is a half round section.

This is a method for cutting ballisters to fit a handrail. works for other things too and it's quick.

It also gives you a uniform surface from the cutting that will come good with a bit of a sanding.
                Last edited by Glenn Jennings; 06-18-2020, 12:26 AM.

Comment

It is interesting that many of the suggestions for carving this shape are not carving in the traditional sense. With the machines available today, this is not a good task for woodcarving.

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
                    Just what is going to be your total project?
                    Thanks. I wanted to have claw feet rest on it. I was not able to do it like I wanted or pictured. I think I need to just do that in a scrap for practice. Something I can do today. !

Comment

Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
                      Looks like a router could work, but what sizes?
                      A router was a thought but my scale was to small for anything but a cutting tool router which I lack

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
                        It is interesting that many of the suggestions for carving this shape are not carving in the traditional sense. With the machines available today, this is not a good task for woodcarving.
                        It is a good task but is it worth the time? I am opposed to rotary cutting my projects just because I don't want to.

Comment

Working...
                        X