No announcement yet.

How Does an Old Guy . . .?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have scheduled a second session this weekend. I intend to introduce her to relief carving in the manner used with my 9-year-old grand-daughter in this prior discussion:

https://forum.woodcarvingillustrated...arving-project

Comment

Tons of instructors, but as a woman, I want not to be treated like someone who is incapable....meaning treat me the same as you would a man. What upsets me, today women are taught like they are stupid, need their handheld, more or less like a child and I often get second-rated nothingness from some men who were supposed to be teaching, those I learned zero from. I want a mentor, someone I can go to when I get stuck as I progressed. What kind of things that are easy that she would enjoy carving is what is next to carve. Your job is give suggestions, or what you would do, or guiding the progression of work. When I teach I have a list of things of what I would do, up to them if they do it....mentor work can be done on the computer or even a phone call. In the beginning stages of carving being supportive to continue carving. Teaching women vs men,...men you tell them plain and simple, whereas women you may get a lot of whining and excuses, which need to be overlooked. Building self-esteem in the craft major works. Later on, more serious instruction that I had was major do it or get out of here, it had to be perfect...which major forced me to move and believe when I did not. Today all my mentors and teachers are older men, who give outstanding advice, or choices.

Comment

The session went well. This young woman is quite capable and eager to learn. We quickly moved away from demonstrating a cut, then having her follow exactly. She adapted her own style quickly and I stepped away. She also seems ready to find projects that appeal to her personally, perhaps in other forms of carving. I loaned her some gouges to continue this relief project on her own.

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
          teach a young woman to carve? I've been asked by a friend to give some woodcarving tips to a daughter-in-law that has started carving. A photo of her practice projects shows that she has acquired some experience with basswood, knives, grain direction, etc., so the "tips" maybe what comes next? What other forms of carving should she try? Are different tools required?
          As a really old guy, my experiences may be "way down the line," meaning the result of years of trying various types of carving, woods, and tools. She doesn't need to know all that in order to settle on a form of carving that will provide the gratification she's looking for. Put yourself in my place. How would you approach teaching her the next step?
          hi, its cool

Comment

Working...
          X