Carving station for your chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carving station for your chair

I don’t post very often, but my lifelong friend made me a carving station to fit my big chair in my living room. It gives me so much more room to carve in the warm living room, next to the fireplace and tv throughout the winter. It may give someone ideas to make one of their own. 56BE29B2-EB83-4964-A261-CE9D265A266D.jpeg 2E850E18-2BF0-4352-AF59-30A45CB3DEA5.jpeg
    From Missouri

What a wonderful friend. Enjoy using it.
    Always covered in chips.

Comment

It's nice to see you posting again, Donna. The carving table looks nice too.
      I usually prefer to stand while carving since I do mostly relief projects. My lovely wife insists that I carve at our sturdy dining table even when the weather is good (like today's record temp - 85 deg.)

Comment

• Donna_T
        Donna_T commented
        Editing a comment
        I am on here regularly to fulfill Moderator duties (usually the unpleasant kind of deleting spammers) but not to post carvings. I’ll put that on my “resolution” list to do more of in 2021. Yikes! -85 deg?

I like your table Donna. Would be really nice for those with limited space, like a apartment. Easy to brake down and store. Good design.
      We live in the land of the free because of the brave!

https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

• Donna_T
        Donna_T commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Randy. It sure lets me keep all my carving stuff handy and catches most of the mess.

Sure looks like a handy setup.
      Ed
      https://www.etsy.com/shop/HiddenInWood https://www.facebook.com/CentralNebraskaWoodCarvers

Comment

• Donna_T
        Donna_T commented
        Editing a comment
        It surely is handy!

Hey gal, glad to see a post from you! Not only a fine set for carving, but the chair seems to match
      . . .JoeB

Comment

• Donna_T
        Donna_T commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there! Good to hear from you, too. I got the chair, called “a chair and a half” just for carving in my living room. I used to carve in my recliner but it cause back and leg problems, and my chiropractor said to get one with a straight back and seat and where my feet would touch the floor. My little lapboard wasn’t working as well so my friend made this for me to fit my chair. It works great!

Hi Donna , that looks like a very useful Design for Carving ,now maybe we will see more of your Work ed again . Welcome back . Merle

Comment

• Donna_T
        Donna_T commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Merle, good to hear from you, too. I certainly miss the “good ole days” on here and enjoy hearing from old friends. I carve in the shop every Tuesday during the winter, but mostly carve in my living room chair during long winter evenings in front of the tv and roaring fireplace. Right now I’m trying to get ahead on Christmas ornaments for next season. As usual, I have many unfinished carvings to get back to working on soon.

I like the set up and the apron on the edge to keep the chips of the floor is a real good idea.

Comment

• Donna_T
        Donna_T commented
        Editing a comment
        Glen, I still get a few errant chips on the floor or on the chair, but this fits so snugly that they are few. I live alone so there’s no one to object except me, and I’ll clean them up eventually! My late husband used to say that I had woodchips under my chair and he had potato chips under his!

Donna, love your table. I have one my late husband made me but the legs are different and it is hard to push back when I need to get up. I can see that the legs on yours would slide.

Comment

• Donna_T
        Donna_T commented
        Editing a comment
        It was made with casters, but that kept the "feet" from sliding under the chair to bring the tray up close to me, so I removed the casters. It does just slide easily now. It's great!

Funny you posted this, today I was going to make the same thing for the house. I never carve in the house, but I want to listen to my audible ebooks while carving and my shop has zero connection to do that. I have to sit to carve mostly these days due to bad knees, and a bad back. Great to see you again and major thanks for posting this....gives me a few pointers that I did not think about.

Comment

• Donna_T
        Donna_T commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey you! Good to hear from you. It's been awhile. These long night dark-time are made for carving in where it's warm. I can rough out at least one ornament between the 6: news and the 10: news! Big messes are related to the shop. I have a cd/dvd player in the shop so I often listen to audio books when I' out there carving. Let me see your project if you undertake one.

Nicely designed carving table, Donna. Sure gives me some ideas...thanks.
      Bill
      Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

• Donna_T
        Donna_T commented
        Editing a comment
        That's why I posted it. Knew some of you carvers could adapt our design and come up with something that will work for you!

Hi Donna
      I can certainly relate to that hehehehe Happy carving !!!

Comment

Love that work station. Before I set up my carving lair in the basement, I fastened a giant trash bag over one of those big embroidery hoops on a stand and it caught all of my flying chips. I really like how that is an actual work table that holds your tools.

Comment

• Donna_T
          Donna_T commented
          Editing a comment
          Carvers are so innovative when coming up with solutions to our carving problems that fit our skill level. I could never build something like this so I am doubly appreciative of my buddy making it for me after we talked about all the needed dimensions!

-85 degs? whew?
        Chuck
        Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

Nice design, thanks for posting it. I will keep this in mind when I need something like that.
          Joe

Comment

Working...
          X