Pocket sized strop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pocket sized strop

Any of you that might whittle when the opportunity presents itself, what do you use for a small, portable strop? I'm thinking maybe wallet sized...anybody care to share ideas!
    THANKS!
    Jim

I just use thin shirt cardboard with compound "crayoned" on it. It can be whatever size you want to cut it to. The smaller it is the shorter your strokes. You'll need a firm surface to lay the strop on. Maybe keep a piece of MDF handy. Or glue the cardboard on a piece of masonite or a scrap of 1/4" thick wood by 1" by 6". I'm guessing you'll need to either use rubber cement to glue on the cardboard or cut a new piece of wood when replacing the cardboard as it doesn't last more than a month or so.

I also have a 1"x6" small strop with leather and it has compound on it. I got that a long time ago with a starter carving kit. I try to stay away from leather strops as I find the cardboard gives me a sharper edge.

BobL

Comment

Make sure the size of your "pocket strop" doesn't put your honing strokes too close to your other hand. Some bad cuts have occurred that way.

Comment

When I am outside I always carey a Felco 903 with me. It's a diamond coated steel.
        See link down below. https://felco.com/en_wld/produits/accessories/felco-903

<p>Given their quality and performance, it’s easy to demand a lot from your FELCO tools. However, even these high-quality tools can lose their cutting edge if not maintained. The FELCO 903 is a lightweight multi-function sharpening stone in diamond-coated

Comment

I use 4" x 6" (10 cm x 15cm) office filing cards with green CrOx/AlOx scribbled all over it.
          Prep a dozen at a time.
          Find some hard flat surface, stick the card down with dabs of whatever tape I can find.
          That's it.

The advantage of the flexible cards is that I can wrap them around mandrel rods of all sorts of sizes to hone my crooked knives. Up to a tennis ball for the adzes.

Then you take an electric razor head apart and clean the gunge off the cutters. Next, gentle
          rotating figure-8 patterns on that strop. Reassemble. Presto! Razor works like new again. That was yesterday's experiment, I'm quite pleased with the results.
          Brian T

Comment

Do they actually make electric razors now? I'm still shaving with my axe!

Comment

Yeah. Remarkable electronics as well. Runs on any voltage from 80 - 240.
              I can waste water shaving standing in the shower with a fogged up mirror and pretend I had a good time. So far, I have rounded up 4 elderly ones that got cleaned and sharpened. Once I figured out what to do, the next ones were quickly done. Just typical carving tool sharpening process.

Keep your strop simple. It's only meant to be a hard surface with the very finest of abrasives.
              Whatever shape(s) you need. No need for glue, gravity is your friend, so is a roll of masking tape.
              300 years ago, the only common flat thing that people had access to was leather. Glued to a piece of wood was a convenience.
              Some carvers like to or need to use a piece of machinery to do their sharpening process. So be it.
              It's interesting to see that there are some compact and portable products of convenience for this in the market place.

I wear cheap lined leather gloves for carving. Took a little getting used to. They get surprisingly dirty over time with wood and tools. I confess that I rub my knives over the dirty glove fingers as a strop for a "quickie hone." Danged if it doesn't work really well!
              Brian T

Comment

Working...
              X