Tactile Carvings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tactile Carvings

Tactile Carvings = little carvings that you can identify by touch alone in the dark.
    I'm trolling for subject ideas for these.

I have three overhead ceiling fans with built in lights.
    a) one switch is the ON/OFF for the light
    b) one is a three-speed switch for the fan motor
    c) one is a forward/reverse switch for the fan motor.

OK, you go into the room with your hands over your head.
    First thing that I want to find is the ON/OFF for the light.
    Reaching up, the factory pull cords ALL have the same lumpy thing on the end.

I'm asking for ideas for shapes that I could find in the dark and know their function.
    Stuff that would be fun to carve in a row on a birch stick then cut apart.
    Brian T

Hi Brian.
    First thoughts coming to me are
    a) a circle with a x inside
    b) a tetrahedron
    c) a two sided arrow

see attached photo of my ideas
    (sketches are not professional;-))
    tactile.jpg
    But if those forms would be fun to carve I don't know.

If you don't like to call me wasserretter call me Dirk

Comment

Sound(or feels ) good to me
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Another idea to make it a little more interesting to carve could be a keltic cross for a), a double headed snake or dragon for c)
        But at the moment I don't have an idea for b)
        If you don't like to call me wasserretter call me Dirk

Comment

Try a longer approach--like wind chime shapes. Make one round, one square, and one triangular. Then they could be chipped carve.

BobL

Comment

I was thinking you could do spheres.

A) 1 sphere
            B) 2 spheres
            C) 3 spheres

By keeping it to a simple shape and being able to have a simple count might work better in the middle of the night.
            GFHWoodWerks
            Novice Carver
            Exploring all I can in this artform.

Comment

Whatever you carve, making them different heights off the floor might help.

I have a crescent moon and a star on mine- (only need two)
              Buffalo Bif
              www.bflobif.com

Comment

I have Snoopy flying a plane on mine.

Comment

Animals could be an option: giraffe, elephant, and bear/hippo/pig. Seems the feel would be easy to identify?
                  Bill
                  Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Great ideas for some simple graphic shapes. Nuts (acorns), dice, other simple shapes.
                    Any more? Much appreciated.

I can see the differences in daylight.
                    I can feel the differences in the dark.
                    All the pull cords could be short, up out of the way, but marked differently.

I know that some of you carve outdoors in the summer. I'd like to try that.
                    Carve these things end to end in a stick then cut them apart.
                    I have some fabulous birch blanks left over from my spoon carving days.
                    Brian T

Comment

61AGELYN9tL._AC_SL1381_.jpg
                      Originally posted by Brian T View Post
                      Tactile Carvings = little carvings that you can identify by touch alone in the dark.
                      I'm trolling for subject ideas for these.

I have three overhead ceiling fans with built-in lights.
                      a) one switch is the ON/OFF for the light
                      b) one is a three-speed switch for the fan motor
                      c) one is a forward/reverse switch for the fan motor.

OK, you go into the room with your hands over your head.
                      First thing that I want to find is the ON/OFF for the light.
                      Reaching up, the factory pull cords ALL have the same lumpy thing on the end.

I'm asking for ideas for shapes that I could find in the dark and know their function.
                      Stuff that would be fun to carve in a row on a birch stick then cut apart.
                      My whole house has these types of fans and lights. I have seven of them in the house. One light I bought a 25-inch long chain extension so I can wave my arms around easily in the dark and find it the turn-on light switch. I never use the reverse switch so it goes untouched. Light/fans have an extension added pull cord so the longest one turns on the light, and the next shorter cord is for the fan. They have a chain extension you can cut to the desired length. These are a cheap buy on Amazon and you can add anything to them for decoration. Some of my lights have crystals, some have wood and some have decorative like the turtle and another has this funky looking bird, and .....at Christmas, I can have Santa hanging from them as I do change the ends every once and while purely for decoration, as the length of the cord show what is what.

Another thing I did was I went and bought one-watt LED light bulbs on Amazon and put them in various table lamps.....I keep three on all night....no more walking into a room and cannot see.
                      Best thing I did this year, just enough light and almost zero electricity and no more feeling for things. LED G14 Light Bulb 1 Watt Low Wattage Globe Small Light Bulbs 10W Equivalent Night Lightbulb E26 Medium Screw Base Bathroom Vanity Porch Outdoor String Light Bulbs 6 Pack. Today everything is bought online...got sick of tripping over cat toys at night knew I was going to kill myself skating on a cat ball one of these days. I did have nightlights to put in outlets, not good enough. This works.
                      Last edited by Dileon; 06-04-2021, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Of course! Dileon is the winner when it comes to ceiling fans. LED lights are winners, too. Some suck so little power that my solar power system does not even recognize the drain! The read-out on the inverter doesn't change with the LED lights on or off.

I'm thinking maybe acorns for one light. One, two and three of them in a row. Or very big and little.
                        Dice might work the same way but I'd rather carve some little doodles instead.
                        Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Dileon View Post
                          Light/fans have an extension added pull cord so the longest one turns on the light, and the next shorter cord is for the fan.
                          I have 6 fans in my home, and bought the extension pull cords at Home Depot with a bunch of the little fasteners. My lights are controlled by the longer pull chain and the fans by the shorter.

BTW, if you want to carve some chain pulls, Steve Brown has some ideas and rough outs at https://www.sbrownwoodcarving.com/shop-online

Claude
                          My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                          My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                          My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                          My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

How about one shaped like a light bulb, one like a fan and the other a two way arrow, like Dirk's sketch.

Bob
                            Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Brian please share what you end up carving… Would love to see it. I’m short and cannot reach our overhead fan pull. Didn’t even think of carving a long (pulley?) thingy. Brilliant idea. Why buy what ya can make?
                              Always covered in chips.
                              My Instagram page: @carvingjunkies

Comment

Working...
                              X