No announcement yet.

Tactile Carvings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bedroom fan-light is over the bed so I think I'll look into adding some pull chain extensions.
    Need to go to the hardware store today, anyway.

I got an idea this morning to carve some oversize dice.

One means on/off
    Two means fan direction
    Three is for the three fan speeds.

Then I thought I might do the same thing but carve big fat acorns.

I must have some left over spoon/fork birch wood for this.
    Brian T

Comment

Your subject title made me think of an experience I had showing some of my relief carvings to a blind man. We were staying in a B&B in Washington state as part of a weeklong program kayaking on the lower Columbia River. I had some relief carvings with me and displayed them on the fireplace mantle for the other participants. The blind co-host asked to "see" them and carefully ran his fingers over the details as I described what he was "seeing." It was interesting to see his appreciation for this tactile art.

Comment

Much the position that I'll be in during the winter this far north.
        Thanks for the reminder that at least I can turn the light on and see what's next.

It's pitch dark outside my place at 3:30PM around the winter solstice.
        I notice day length increasing by mid January but it seems to be a long time
        before it's light out at supper time. Confuses Heidi-cat every winter.
        Summer solstice, June 21, I can read the newspaper outdoors at 10:30PM.

What ever I wind up carving for the cord pulls, I've got to be able to know by touch alone
        in total darkness what the switches do.

I do have touch lights for power failures. I keep them in the bathroom, nothing to stumble over.
        All I have to do is find them, metal bodies and instant ON. Just last night was another fine example.
        Brian T

Comment

Working...
        X