No announcement yet.

Best Brands of Knives for carving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a chance to buy a few used SOLINGEN. does the steel hold a good edge?

Comment

It's just me. I presume that these bladesmiths use good steels, heat-treated properly.
      How long the edge lasts in service depends on what sort of woods I'm carving.
      Western Red Cedar is supposed to be hard on edges, so I'm told.
      Carving little else, I would not know the differences.

I'm using a variety of crooked knives which are common to the First Nations carvers in the Pacific Northwest. As a result, the sweep, the shape, of the blade interests me. I made a dozen or so knives from farrier's hoof trimming knives. Used a Dremel to alter the tips. They do what I need. I've bought finished knives and blades for me to haft. I think I have the shapes I need.
      Brian T

Comment

I've been noticing Helvie knives being sold for ridiculous prices on eBay. I don't know why. I surmise someone is trying to get rich off the fact that Rich and Holli have cut back on production of the Helvie tools and there is quite a wait for an order. Personally, I wouldn't buy a Helvie off eBay because it may be a knockoff, or be damaged, and quite frankly, it takes business away from Helvie. If you want a Helvie, I think it's better to place an order, and wait patiently.

BobL

Comment

I have several Boy scouts wanting to work on their Wood Carving Merit Badge. Are there any good resources available for them?

Comment

Carving a Scout neckerchief slide was once a possible focus for the merit badge, but many troops no longer use neckerchiefs as part of their uniform.

010.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by Just Carving View Post
              I've been noticing Helvie knives being sold for ridiculous prices on eBay. I don't know why. I surmise someone is trying to get rich off the fact that Rich and Holli have cut back on production of the Helvie tools and there is quite a wait for an order. Personally, I wouldn't buy a Helvie off eBay because it may be a knockoff, or be damaged, and quite frankly, it takes business away from Helvie. If you want a Helvie, I think it's better to place an order, and wait patiently.

BobL
              Unless they've changed they are not allowing ordering unless it's in stock. Just because its in your cart doesn't mean it's yours.

I have been pleased with the OCCT knives I purchased instead.
              Last edited by PHolder; 09-16-2021, 06:36 AM.
              https://www.triadwoodcarvers.com/

Comment

Originally posted by PHolder View Post

Unless they've changed they are not allowing ordering unless it's in stock. Just because its in your cart doesn't mean it's yours.

I have been pleased with the OCCT knives I purchased instead.
                I took a class from Roger Stegall at Engler's in Branson last November, and I really wanted one of his Helvie upswept knives...unfortunately Helvie was 8 weeks behind on supply at that time, and Roger said he didn't know when he would get any on his website.

I noticed that Mike Shipley at OCCT had just come out with an upswept knife, and I went down to the tool section of Peter Engler's and bought his upswept knife...I really like it. About 85% of the tools I own are OCCT...

Comment

I have to say my most favorite is a Helvie,very well made and comes razor sharp.
                  Mark N. Akers
                  My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

I believe OCCT are just hard to beat

Comment

A good place for a scout to start carving is with a glove and this complete carving kit. https://www.chippingaway.com/shop/be...arving-kit-p9/. The knife in the kit comes sharpened and is a good quality murphy knife (like the OCCT best seller). Gloves from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Cutting-Glove...sr=1-5-catcorr. They can share a home made strop made from an old leather belt but will need some compound. Or, purchase a low cost strop and compound at amazon https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Honin...s=books&sr=1-6. I think you will find this to be a complete low cost high value solution.

Comment

Cereal box cardboard stuck to a flat surface with masking tape is a strop at the right price.
                        A few big scribbles of compound finishes the use. In this day and time, my preference is for 4" x 6" office file cards.
                        Brian T

Comment

Working...
                        X