Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• woodburner807
    replied
    Didn't think of really referring to you, Chuck. Maybe in my genes would be better? Regardless, glad to see you're a member of the "disorganized" group.

Leave a comment:

• NoDNA
    replied
    Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
    I'm in the "disorganized" camp and just leave them scattered on the bench. Just in the DNA, I guess.
    Hey watch that language Dude, My stuff is just that , all over the place like a bomb went off. And I have to wear the dark glasses to keep from hurting mself.
    Chuck

Leave a comment:

• PittsburghTim
    replied
    I like the suggestions/methods used by Randy and Larry and had something like the racks in the photo from Larry. If I have more than a handful laying on my bench, I seem to spend more time finding the one for which I am looking and it actually interrupts my concentration/creativity and leads to frustration, which detracts from the pleasure of carving for me.

As for sharpening, I have a leather belt on a 2 x 48 inch variable speed belt grinder. I use it freehand to strop my edge as soon as I notice any sign of dulling and my edge is razor sharp in no more than 5 or 10 seconds. In fact, I never grind other than if I am setting up a blade for the first time.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    "This is the set up I use. I arrange starting on bottom left #3 to #7, top #8 to 11. # 1 and V grooves in case on the right. Other carving tools and supplies in drawers.
    Larry"

OH my

Leave a comment:

• DiLeon
    replied
    I can not display case my chisels...leave them in the open air and they start to rust within one day ..humidity and salt air make a bad combination all chisels are stored in airtight five-gallon buckets and must be taken out for usage every day. I made something comparable to this only bigger and a lot more holes of various sizes and shapes to hold chisels... I have three buckets. il_1588xN.2024913285_5dqb.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    I practiced a lot to become proficient at freehand sharpening. That way, I don't pay a lot of attention to that process when I'm carving. I don't have to think about it any more. A few licks and I'm back at it.

Making and hafting blades in handles of the correct size was an exploration that I enjoyed immensely.
    When I build a knife now, I know I'm thinking more about the carving than the blade.

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    I think Arthur has hit on an important point - the acquisition and organization (and perfection of sharpening) of carving tools can actually work against what we strive for in this hobby. They can divert us from the creative expression which motivates our choice of this activity. Each of these may require our attention for a bit of time, but should not become ends in themselves. Now! Back to carving!

Leave a comment:

• tioga paddler
    replied
    This is the set up I use. I arrange starting on bottom left #3 to #7, top #8 to 11. # 1 and V grooves in case on the right. Other carving tools and supplies in drawers.
    Larry

IMG_1340.JPG

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    Dang, some of you guys must have a ton of gouges! I only have 50+ gouges and about 12 knives. I subscribe to the theory that chaos enhances creativity.

To me, organizing can become an end in itself, another hobby, if you will. But then, being old and cranky, I don't feel obligated to always be logical, LOL!

Leave a comment:

• wasserretter
    replied
    joepaulbutler and woodburner807 I guess we have the same basis.
    My tools are quite disorganized too (the one moment I don't know where I have layed them a moment before).

So I have to take care I don't use and buy too much tools.
    Last edited by wasserretter; 10-05-2021, 05:19 AM. Reason: added something

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    I'm in the "disorganized" camp and just leave them scattered on the bench. Just in the DNA, I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Randy
    replied
    I have my mallet tools in the top 3 of 5 drawer craftsmen toolbox. They are lined up by type, left to right by size. I use a tool roll if I travel with them.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Man, you guys are organized. I keep my carving tools arranged in a disorganized matter on my carving table

Leave a comment:

• Kadiddle
    replied
    Tim, that just seems like way to much organization. But if it works for you, then it is fine. I go for k.i.s.
    Carve On,
    Kadiddle

Leave a comment:

• Nebraska
    replied
    Originally posted by johnvansyckel View Post
    How about sorting by the most used? Murphy's Law states that you will do 80% of your work with 20% of your chisels.
    80/20 Pareto Principle.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X