Old elf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old elf

267146395_10226990349480856_3753855548194080000_n (1).jpgPumpkin and sand and ice carver...starting to work in wood. carving by Wade Lapp. Outstanding details...guess working in pumpkins soft materials really prepared him to do this work. One thing I notice in his wood carving is the outstanding placement of wood grains (notice the nose and chin areas) to the total effect of his carving.
    DiLeon
    Senior Member Hawaii
    Last edited by DiLeon; 12-21-2021, 12:58 PM.
    . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Hi, Di, I agree , that is some Outstanding Detailing. A Great Piece to study for Facial Detailing . Merle

Comment

Originally posted by Merle Rice View Post
      Hi, Di, I agree , that is some Outstanding Detailing. A Great Piece to study for Facial Detailing . Merle
      I thought the same if I could get my eyes to look like his ...I would have it made. I know the more famous pumpkin carver has outstanding facial detailing..... I am sure that this is where he learned how to do it.

Comment

Hi ,Di , I tried Pumpkin Carving years ago as well as Trying to Mold with Clay, a lot to be Desired on my part , not Happening. Merle

Comment

Originally posted by DiLeon View Post
          SNIP267146395_10226990349480856_3753855548194080000_n (1).jpg. SNIP One thing I notice in his wood carving is the outstanding placement of wood grains (notice the nose and chin areas) to the total effect of his carving.
          Even more impressive is the effect of the grain on the brow and cheeks.
          Arthur C.
          Senior Member Louisiana
          Last edited by Arthur C.; 12-21-2021, 05:18 PM.
          Arthur

Comment

The grain aside, what a great carving, I know we are not supposed to be envious, but to have these skills, oh my. Every place you look at the carving, there are just such skills. I just had to go back and look again and printrd off a copy to add to my carving reference library. Thank you for posting Di
            joepaulbutler
            Last edited by joepaulbutler; 12-21-2021, 06:08 PM.
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Those are really detailed eyes with about 4 levels. It would be a challenge to do. How big is this piece and what kind of wood is it?
              Joe

Comment

Originally posted by JoeVM View Post
                Those are really detailed eyes with about 4 levels. It would be a challenge to do. How big is this piece and what kind of wood is it?
                That is a good question, but looking at the background, compare it to the size of leaves...it is not big. Wood is unknown also.

Comment

Wow that is a beautifully executed piece of work. A lot of thought went into that one and an awesome finish as well .

Comment

I also think the Grain is Great , but it just happens by Placement of Pattern. The Carving Detailing is the Challenging Part that makes you want to try and see if you can Produce a Likeness of the Different Areas. Hmmmmm ! Merle

Comment

Originally posted by Merle Rice View Post
                      I also think the Grain is Great , but it just happens by Placement of Pattern. The Carving Detailing is the Challenging Part that makes you want to try and see if you can Produce a Likeness of the Different Areas. Hmmmmm ! Merle
                      I have to ask what is the possibility of getting a wood piece with a grain like this to fit in prime facial areas? Surely perhaps his face was made after getting the perfect wood? But it is almost like hitting the jackpot at vegas....perfect wood to a perfect carving. I mean really.. what are the odds?

Comment

Wish I'd have carved that guy those eyes those wrinkles that grain Wow!
                        Herb

Comment

Hi Di, I have a Piece of Cedar that has a lot of Close Grain like that . I didn't try to High Lite the Grain when I carved him , didn't realize it would show that much . Never Finished him , Grain and my Pattern Lines Conflicted and messed with my Eyes . This is from a 5 1/2" x5 1/2" Piece so I feel if I would have looked and tried to take Advantage of the Grain it would have had the Similar Affect . I feel any Wood with Tight Grain can give you the same Affect .
                          The Pictures will show you what I'm trying to say . Don't judge the Carving ,I Scrapped It , just look at the Grain . Merle IMG_0001.jpg IMG_0002.jpg IMG_0003.jpg IMG_0005.jpg

Comment

Thanks for posting, what a awesome job of carving.
                            Mark N. Akers
                            My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Hi Mark, my Niece liked it and took it out of the Scrap Box . How Knew? Merry Christmas Merle

Comment

Working...
                              X