Group Consensus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DiLeon View Post
    I turn down lots of commission work for lots of reasons, as I get older it has a long line of what I will do and will not dos.... I do not take customers who look like big trouble and this one has red flags all over it.
    You hit the nail on the head what it really came down to was the client seemed like someone who would be a pain to deal with I figure if I’m getting that vibe during the early stages well who needs it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nebraska View Post

You hit the nail on the head what it really came down to was the client seemed like someone who would be a pain to deal with I figure if I’m getting that vibe during the early stages well who needs it.
      good for you .... I had a bad customer once....in fact clearly it was one from hell ....never again. Listen to the inner vibe can save you from major from turning something you love doing into totally upsetting and chaos.
      . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

I do not recall the legal details, but when some Mormon store owners in Utah and other western states were altering movies before renting/selling them, the movie producers were able to stop them from doing so. (I think the one in the news at the time was Titanic.) I know that the discussion is not one of a legal nature, but it was interesting to note.

I once made a walnut coffee table for a friend at work and her husband. They purchased the slab with my advice, and I made the table in the style of George Nakashima. I even made a mock-up to ensure they were OK with the final design. I later saw it in a FB post. It was in their basement gameroom and her husband and a few of their guests had their feet on it. I know it was no longer mine, but I wish that I had never seen the picture.

This is one reason that I only give my carvings to those who I am fairly certain will appreciate the time and effort put into them.

Tim

Comment

Ed, you aren't charging enough. If some one has to sell their house to buy a carving, then I doubt very much they will be painting or re-carving it.

Comment

I sell my carvings, and I guess it's the buyer's choice if he/she wants to paint/repaint/recarve the work. I would hope they would take my name off of it... I have several carvings that I will not sell. These were carved during classes at the Tennessee woodcarving rendezvous. All of them had parts where the instructor carved a bit to show me something. I have my name on the carvings as well as the instructors names. And since I didn't do all the work, I won't sell them. I keep them around to use as "go-bys" and I will carve a copy from scratch. I usually make some changes to the carvings I do from the go-bys.

I think to re-carve parts of someone else's carvings to make them "better" is an insult to the original carver.

Claude
            My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
            My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
            My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
            My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

I read an article the other night that with the advent of the 3D printer there is some thoughts of extending copyrights to object. Since they can now be copied so precisely.

Comment

Hi Guys
                This is a tricky one and I have to agree that I would find it kind of sad to see something I poured my soul into, being hacked about.

I think with any form of art it boils down to how YOU as an individual feel about it. I think if you let something go then one has to accept that others may have a differing view once they have it in their hands and that they probably have the right to change it as they see fit seeing as how they have ownership of it. If one accepts that then there is no problem with letting pieces go. It doesn't make their view right or wrong just different from ones own.

It is a tough moral dilemma and one I'm keen to avoid at all costs as it would impinge upon my enjoyment of the craft.

I have had offers of commissions but have only actually made a couple of pieces for close friends. I like the stuff I make for the most part so tend to keep it for my own enjoyment and as a record of the progression of my skills.

I would much preffer they made a new piece to their own specifications. I don't see a problem with that as it is just part of the generation of ideas. We have all seen something and thought ooohh if I do this that and the other thing I think this could look even more awesome, and then gone and made it. It is just part of applying thought to a project.

If they alter a piece then it should not be sold on under the original artists name as this would be a falsehood as the work is no longer original.

If anyone looks even remotely difficult to deal with in any way shape and form. Run for the hills. Life is too short to waste it on something you are not going to enjoy doing because of all the hassles.

Just my 2 cents worth

Comment

One famous and prolific woodcarver, Ernest Warther, never sold a carving, though he did give some away. His take was that when you sell a carving, it became a job and you would lose your enjoyment of the hobby. Here is a link to a video on his history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwT3HVp5Klk&t=640s

I don't think that any video really does him justice as he carved the history of the steam engine including working replicas with incredible detail. Valve handles operate, the drive gear and reverse levers function, and even the bells rotate. Keep in mind that all of these parts were carved in walnut and bone and later in ebony and ivory. The ivory "bell ropes" were carved, not steam bent! The locomotives are driven by sewing machine motors/belts and all of the journal bearings were fashioned from a South American wood, called arguto. This naturally oily wood will release some oil from the friction of movement and there are many models that have run daily for 70 years without being lubricated! The only on-line references to this wood are to old steam engines on ships and in factories using this wood for various machine bearings.

For the names of the engines he made on the bases, he would write them in cursive and then inlay ivory letters into the walnut or ebony base.

The only power tool in his workshop was an old Delta bench-top drill press. He used no adhesives, so every detail is press-fit or mechanically pinned. As it is only a 2-hour drive from my home in Pittsburgh, PA, I have visited the museum in person numerous times.

If you are ever in eastern Ohio, I would strongly recommend a visit. Located in Dover, Ohio, it's about a 30-minute drive from there to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton.

Tim

Comment

There's strong value in visiting museums. I have always had my request for a chair(mine) so I can study the displays. Be in no hurry. Have an agenda of items to search for.
                    Hindsight has told me that what was a visit of a few fleeting hours should have been 2 days, at the very least.

Brian T

Comment

Working...
                    X