Identifying old tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying old tools

Good morning everyone, I was hoping someone could help me out. I have been buying older SJ Addis, Buck Bros, and W Butcher tools along with several others. However I recently purchased a box of unmarked tools. At first glance some seem to be good quality and others not as much. I was wondering if someone could help me identify what I think are Miller Falls tools based on some research I have done. I will attach some photos. Thank you in advance!

Billy Jack

I bought all of these in a box for 100 dollars. The ones I’m interested in are the three buy themselves and then the ones that look to be a set.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.

Also I am pretty sure this is my first time posting here so if I put this in the wrong spot I apologize.

Comment

The handles on the 3 gouges seem to match the old Millers Falls tools as seen on Etsy, but they don't match most of the rest. You may be on the right track by looking for older carving gouges. I was given a tool roll several years ago that included some Marples and Herring Brothers gouges. They cleaned up pretty well and hold a nice edge. There are some popular profiles missing from the antique carving tools - such as fishtails or skewed gouges like the Pfeil 2a/8L.
      My experience tells me that tool manufacturers of the past marked their products with the company name, either stamped into the steel shank or embossed on the handle. I would be skeptical of tools that don't show that level of pride.
      pallin
      Senior Member - Ventura
      Last edited by pallin; 01-11-2022, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Thank you for responding. I have cleaned them up with a power strop and they cut very well. I suppose that is all that really matters. To be honest I still prefer my Addis and C Meirs but these will be a good back up. I just thought it was strange for them to not be stamped with the manufacture name. I have mostly old tools so maybe that is something they used to do and the newer ( less than 100 year old) tools sometimes don't stamp them. Again thank you for your input.

Comment

pallin
          Senior Member - Ventura
          pallin I did a little more digging and I think the 3 tools come for the Miller Falls carving tool set #2. While the other tools seem to
          come from the Miller Falls carving set #3. What do you think?

Comment

Very possible. The only Millers-Falls carving tools I have are the 5-piece palm set (#107), given to me as a young carver in 1947. Millers-Falls was stamped into the flat spot on the handles, but nothing stamped into the metal.

Note: I was wrong in my comment that old carving tools don't include fishtails. The Herring Brothers #3 gouge I was given is a fishtail.
            pallin
            Senior Member - Ventura
            Last edited by pallin; 01-13-2022, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X