On-line Treasure Chest of Woodcarving Patterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On-line Treasure Chest of Woodcarving Patterns

I keep seeing the same question on this forum and most of the Facebook groups. "I'm a beginner and I want to know where I can find patterns for things that I can carve.

A quick and ready answer is to just Google "woodcarving patterns" and see what comes up. A more direct answer is to add the name of a known woodcarver. In this case, "Ol' Don" Burgdorf. The results for this search netted well over 600 hits. Not all are patterns but there are enough in the round, chip carving, relief carving, and pyrography patterns from a multitude of sources to keep any carver busy for a long time.

I've been collecting digital patterns for years and if the truth be known I'd have to live another 76-years to even attempt half of them. Purchasing a book off Amazon or from Fox Chapel Publishing is is always preferred. It supports our art, the many carvers that contribute to our art, and of course, Fox Chapel. However, if you're a beginning carver or a cash strapped carver give Google a try. It's a great first step.

ol'don wood carving patterns free (Related images)

https://www.google.com/search?q=ol%2...w=1447&bih=683

Good info Eddy
    . . .JoeB

Comment

What is the best way to tranfer the patterns onto the wood?

Comment

Originally posted by Piping Abe View Post
        I photo copy my “pattern” which for me are photos and glue it on the wood then head to the band saw.

6280DC31-CBDB-444D-ACD4-DC0998046F07.jpg 5F76C2C4-1F09-4F75-BEFB-717403700D00.jpg E54EC12D-DA8D-427D-88AE-0E0E21BE1D02.jpg

Comment

Go to your search engine and put the heading in the search box.....Free Printable wood carving patterns Next click images. There is a whole source of printable free patterns to try.

People collect these patterns on Pinterest which you can copy and print out if you have a printer.

Another go-to source. Lora Irish site as a few free pattern sources and ones you can buy. Lora has a big source of books with patterns and instructions. You can go on the search engine.

Put in Heading ..for example, cat coloring books. You will get a whole source of line drawing cats or whatever subject you are looking for. I use various real photos of animals to get the whole idea put together

Wood carving Illustrated magazine has a source of patterns to try and instructions to get you on your way. This pattern was found on a search from Pinterest. 9ece98edc5c174439077ead7a08a1f8d.gif
          . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

There are a number of ways like Ed. I print a picture or a pattern on plain paper. On the computer I can ajust the size of the pattern to fit the wood I am working with. I cut the patten out and with 3M spray glue put it on the wood.

e9 - Copy.jpg e10 - Copy.jpg e10a.jpg IMG_3178 - Copy.jpg
            Last edited by Randy; 01-15-2022, 08:55 AM.
            We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
            https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

PlayfulPup (1).jpg This from the site that Eddy mentioned, cute design you can print out for self-usage. Copyright states that you can use this for personal usage...but can not sell his pattern nor take them to use at carving clubs and etc..unless you get permission from the designer.
              Attached Files
              . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Another source of patterns we do not think of are leather working books, especially for shallow relief carving.

image_15991.jpg image_15990.jpg image_15995.jpg

Comment

randy thanks for the reply. What is the general consensus on using carbon paper?

Comment

randy thanks for the reply. What is the general consensus on using carbon paper?
                    Piping Abe I use carbon paper a lot, but have learned to draw in a lot of spots, as you will to as time goes' by. WCI is a great scouse for a lot and all the above answers are good too. Also see if you can find a Book by Tom Lind On Carving, great starting place.
                    Chuck
                    Last edited by NoDNA; 01-15-2022, 04:26 PM. Reason: Tom Lind
                    Chuck
                    Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

Good info Eddy
                      . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by NoDNA View Post

Piping Abe I use carbon paper a lot, but have learned to draw in a lot of spots, as you will to as time goes' by. WCI is a great scouse for a lot and all the above answers are good too. Also see if you can find a Book by Tom Lind On Carving, great starting place.
                        Chuck
                        Im trying to find the book online but I cant find anything by Tom Lind?

Comment

I use carbon with a pattern wheel. It is another good option for applying a patterns. For me it is just a question of what works best on the project I am doing.

Comment

White glue works great but can get messy. I've recently started using a Glu-stick. Same results and it's easier to apply.

School Glue's On Sale.jpg

Comment

Im trying to find the book online but I cant find anything by Tom Lind?
                              Let me recheck the spelling. sorry.
                              Chuck
                              Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

Working...
                              X