Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar build tutorial

Hi Guys
    Am just starting building another guitar. Would a tutorial of the process be of interest to you guys or is it sort of off topic?????

Would be quite a lot of work so please indicate if there would be any interest in the project.

Glen... I'm not so sure a tutorial would help me but I am curious about how you go about building one. Perhaps some static photos of the different steps in the process.

Comment

Hi Glenn, I will (probably) never build a guitar... but as a very curious woman I would be interested. I appreciate your offer.

Comment

Any opportunity to learn is a good thing,back in the 70s I had a good friend who was a professional guitar builder.Used to watch him a lot, we shared workshop space.I've decorated a few, and am a rusty electric bass player*.
        Are you building solid body electric or acoustic either ?
        Here a guitar builder ( any sort ) or repairer is a luthier.pronounced looteeyay. Same term overs voilins etc builders/repairers too.

*My basses got lost in our last move ( Burns Bison and Rickenbacker ) .I want to learn to play Sax before I go ( love the sound ), but have neither the time, nor the justification to spend the money on a good one
        Last edited by MikeW; 08-03-2022, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Glenn, I'd love to see the process of making one.
          Mark N. Akers
          My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

I'll not be building a guitar, but I want to get my some hooked up if you decide to go ahead.
            . . .JoeB

Comment

If you don't mind taking the time to photograph, and then p0st, the photos and explain the process as you go, it would be appreciated. Also, remember, we have quite a few lurkers on here who look but don't p0st, so some of them may be interested also.

Claude
              My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
              My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
              My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
              My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Like the other I would love to see your prosses. I doubt I would build one. I have made a few wood flutes for others It was fun to learn to do. But I can not carry a tune from the shower to the sink. It maybe something you could also use if you are ever thinking about teaching a class.
                Last edited by Randy; 08-03-2022, 05:33 PM.
                We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
                https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Ok guys it's a go then. started on the first 2 items in tutorials. I see the other post I did on guitar building got about 1100 hits so must be a bit of interest out there.

Hi Mike Think it's time you built a new bass and got back into it hehehehehe. It's in the blood mate can't deny it hehe.will be an acoustic guitar this time around. Maybe a hollow body electric next time I think.

Hi Randy
                  Don't think I will ever do classes as it is hard enough just to find a guy that will pick up a chisel these days. Have a mate I met through the jazz guitar forum and another guy down south and we make guitars and make repairs on old stuff. Wilbert picked up a very rare hofner guitar with a broken neck for $100 which when repaired should be worth at least $1000. A good original would be worth $2000.

It is these old pieces of history we are looking to restore for future generations to enjoy. If we can make a buck to upgrade the tools then all good. I will repair the hofner for cost of materials and a good bottle of high octane hooch.hehehe not in it for the money is more of a passion hehe. When you pick up a 70 year old guitar you wonder about all the people that might have played it. The places it might have been.

If there was ever a similar thing to alcoholics anonymous I can just imagine it.

" Hi my names Glenn and I'm a guitar addict I have, 16 guitars am building another one with plans for at least 2 more. I have no money in the bank and I'M LOVING IT!!!!"

Yeah,yeah, I know, a hopeless case.
                  Last edited by Glenn Jennings; 08-04-2022, 06:16 PM.

Comment

That's a gorgeous piece of wood! Did that Hofner belong to a rock musician, previously (as in smashing a guitar- I've never understood that. I guess if you are making enough money and have enough drugs fueling your ego...).

Comment

Hi Steven
                      yeah that is an offcut from a riflestock blank I got from Armenia The whole stock is figured like that was $1,250 nz and that was years ago so itdoesn't come cheap so I save every scrap to use on different projects. Like you say it is just so beautiful. And it is a joy to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn Jennings View Post
                        Hi Steven
                        yeah that is an offcut from a riflestock blank I got from Armenia The whole stock is figured like that was $1,250 nz and that was years ago so itdoesn't come cheap so I save every scrap to use on different projects. Like you say it is just so beautiful. And it is a joy to work with.
                        Holy smokes, that's a lot of money! I was making a cover for our door bell many years ago, out of walnut. I found an 8/4 plank 6" wide that I could have had an offcut from at a lumberyard. One end had such wild grain that I bought the whole 6-foot long piece, expecting to make a stock for my tack-driver rifle. That project got sidelined, because I discovered that I needed a 12/4 piece of wood for the kind of bench rest shooting that I do. I paid about $60 US for it, and felt like I was getting hurt. The irony is, most people going into a yard like that would never buy that board because of the wild grain!

Comment

Hi Steven
                          Wild grain is a natural treasure and I have my eye out looking for it all the time. Sometimes I see a decent sized tree with a nice burl lump on it and I'm standing praying for it to just fall over so I can get my hands on it hehehehe.

Tree fell down across the road and I was down there like a shot looking to see what I could salvage. unfortunately it was a cabbage tree which is pretty much unuseable. Very open grained,fibberous and about as light as balsawood. Doubt it would even make good firewood.

Comment

Glen, I’m not interested in building a guitar, but would like to see the process. A few years ago I picked up an old Washburn B20 bass that looked like some kid used as an axe. There was literally a whole in the back that I could almost put my hand in. Did the best I could to repair it, then resold it for 5 times what I paid for it. I know a luthier would have done a much better job, but I wanted to try.

Comment

Hi Cut Up
                              I will try to cover most of the aspects in building a guitar on this post. Good save and score on the Washburn. Got to be lucky some of the time hehehe.

Comment

Working...
                              X