Your Current carving number?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Current carving number?

I know many of you have been carving for a long time and I'm curious what carving number your working on. some of you must be over a thousand.

Do you sign date and number all carvings including roughouts, bottle stoppers and ornaments?

I don't sign bottle stoppers or ornaments and other small carvings but everything else including roughouts are signed, I'm working on carving # 55 and have been carving for 2 years. How bout you guys?

HappY Trails
    Bill
    ^v^

Re: Your Current carving number?

Yes, I've signed, numbered and dated every carving I've done, right from the beginning. I'm currently working on number 161. I've actually done a lot more carvings than that however. For instance, if I'm working on a Santa and he has two separate pieces with him, like polar bears, each additional piece still gets the same carving number as the Santa, I just put Part 1 of 3 on the Santa, Part 2 of 3 and Part 3 of 3 on the polar bears. Hmmmmm, hadn't thought of it, wonder how many carvings I actually have done, a few more than 161, that's for sure! Deborah

</IMG>

Comment

Hmmm, I never thought about it before.
      I have been carving for about 15 years now and have photos of 90% of the pieces. Probably 150 or more, especially counting the ornaments. Now I'm gonna have to go look at that photo album and see if I can figure it out.
      There were a couple of limited edition ornaments I did that were numbered but that's it. I do sign and date everything though.

Comment

Bill,
        I think I've been carving nearly 18 years, although the first two years didn't produce more than a dozen carvings. For the next 10 years, I only worked (for pay) part time and I had much more time to carve. I just started my 874th carving. I would have to add that probably 300+ of those were pins and ornaments for teachers. I'd carve 20-30 pumpkins for halloween, 30 santa faces for Christmas, 25 bunnies for Easter, etc. and elementary teachers just loved them. I could sit down and carve 2-3 a night and paint a whole table full in one day. I don't do that anymore!!

I might also add that I have a basket of unfinished carvings awaiting motivation to be finished...hat might be hooves on a goat, wrinkles on pants for my Uncle Sam, getting far enough along on a duck body to attach the head, etc. There's probably a dozen projects in that basket.

Good exercise. Oh yes, I sign and date every carving although I don't take photos of everything. I photograph the big ones that are going to a different home.

Donna T
        From Missouri

Comment

Interesting Question. I started signing and dating, and photographing carvings eight years ago. For those eight years I have completed 253 carvings.

That does not include the Husky Pencils that I carve. I have not kept any records on the pencils, but I do remember one year that I sold 10 dozen of them.

Comment

nope, had several years carving under my belt before I even heard or thought about keeping track.....so don't.
            "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

although I have signed everyone of my carvings I also have never kept a count. I have been carving for about 10 years and although I take pictures of a lot of them I dont of all of them. If I had to take a quick guess I would probably say in excess of 2000 maybe a little more maybe a little less not exactly sure.I know two years ago I did start numbering my bark carvings and sumac carvings and and they numbered over 500. It is a great question and if I had to do it all over again I would number everyone. This is a good lesson for all of you new carvers starting out number your carvings and you will see just how much you have accomplished.
              Colin
              Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
              Jackson, MS

Comment

Although I've been carving for a couple of years, now, almost everything I do still feels like practice. I've given away a handful of small carvings, but I haven't been tracking anything.

There was the turtle for my niece, the "rubber ducky" for my wife, and some little pocket-sized reliefs that my other niece ended up with, so fewer than ten.

I have a small batch of Christmas ornaments ready to paint, maybe a dozen.

Then, there's a bag full of unfinished projects, including a couple where I made drastic mistakes. Those convinced me to buy some Plastalina clay to start working out the details before I start carving.

Now that I think of it, that is more than I would have guessed, but still less than fifty.

It's probably a very good idea to start keeping records, including some estimate of the amount of time spent on each project. At the very least, I'm going to start taking a picture of anything I finish.

Thanks for the nudge. It's a grand idea to keep track.

-Tommy

Comment

finished my first carving around Jan 2004 that would be number 1......I am now finishing up carving number 128.... a piece of a chess set..... It took me a long time to find carving but it was love at first sight. we have going steady ever since. lol
                  Jim

Comment

I only recently have started to number my carvings. Should have started that long ago.Head Bange All my carvings have been signed however.Smile

Comment

Originally posted by Colin_Partridge
                      This is a good lesson for all of you new carvers starting out number your carvings and you will see just how much you have accomplished.
                      Colin
                      I'll second that colin....I wish I would have kept a count!
                      I've been carving for over 15 years (as a living) and I can't even guess!
                      I know between 2 and 3 thousand on Ebay over the last 7 years plus all those years of art fairs...yep...wish I'd kept count! I THINK I signed them all at least.

One good thing...I've yet to see one on the shelf of a thrift store yet LOL!

Greg

Comment

Great question. I've been carving for almost three years and have signed and dated all and taken pics of most, but never numbered them.

Dan

Comment

For me I have signed, numbered and put the year on everyone I have done so far which I just finished #51. I also have taken a picture of each one for a photo album.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Chipper67

Comment

.......................only about 24 since 1994

.......................Idea but I retire inCheers

.......................14 more years Head Bange

Comment

I been carving for 9 month not sure how many i,ve carved but i got a white store bag full and that about 3/4 of them.
                              windsong

Comment

Working...
                              X