Your Current carving number?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Current carving number?

In those 13 years William ... Probably several hundred .. But alot of them have been small pieces ..

I try to remember to sign them .. but if you ask those who got ornaments from me this year .. They got another story ..

Stop counting long ago .. Just love to carve and give them away ..

God Bless

Gene

Comment

WOW! I really am the new guy on the block, it's nice to know how other carvers keep track of their work.

When I joined this forum and the decoy carving forum 2 years ago I was working on carving #1 and there was a discussion at the time about signing and numbering all carvings so it's a habit I picked up from the beginning. I also have pictures and a list of all carvings given as gifts.

Looks like some of you guys have leveled a forest. Thanks for all the replies

Merry Christmas All
      Bill
      ^v^

Comment

When I started carving I decided that I would like to keep a record of my efforts……at least the major ones. Later, I came to realize that I was getting too interested in the number of carvings I had done. This happened to me with birding. I became interested in my “life list” and adding birds to it without paying much attention to the birds themselves.

The effort to change this led me to my current numbering system. The first two digits are for the year and the second is the chronological carving completed in that year. This way by looking at the number on a carving I have a good idea of when it was carved. For instance 0208 would mean that the carving was done in 2002 and since I only complete 9 or 10 numbered carvings each year, it would indicate that it was probably completed fairly late in the year. That’s enough for me. I am now working on 0801 and 0802.

I do keep a record, by number, of my carvings that gives information on when it was completed, the type of wood, painting notes, size, etc. But, even checking this list would not give an accurate total as I no longer number Christmas ornaments or similar pieces. Now and then I may decide to keep a record of a Christmas ornament and will use one number but will actually carve many copies of this piece (seldom put this number on the carving itself just use it in my record book).

For me, there are two reasons for numbering carvings: 1. The most important is to keep a record of information on an individual carving. 2. Because the person purhcasing the carvings wants it.

Comment

Hmmm...I have not numbered any but I do put my initials on them so I know I did them.

Comment

As I have sated I don't number my carvings as people who do buy them don't like to seea numbe like 10 or 20 or 200 on a carving like there were 20 more just like this one. So, My name and date gose on them and that is all.
            Now I use to number them and had several people who wanted a carving turn down a couple because it had a high number on them and they thought that meant there were more of the same out there. No amount of taliking to them on what the number meant convinced them. So, in losing some sales, I decided not to number them but photograph each carving. That again after many had left my home and no pictures.
            But, For those who do number them, More power to you. Good Idea.

Comment

Wow are you guys ever organized! I have been carving since 1988, so I couldn't begin to put a number on it, nor would I have ever thought to keep track in the first place.

Comment

I am not that organized to number my carvings,but i do sign &date most of them.and i always take a picture and keep it on a CD.

Frank
                Safety first

Comment

Originally posted by William
                  I know many of you have been carving for a long time and I'm curious what carving number your working on. some of you must be over a thousand.

Do you sign date and number all carvings including roughouts, bottle stoppers and ornaments?

I don't sign bottle stoppers or ornaments and other small carvings but everything else including roughouts are signed, I'm working on carving # 55 and have been carving for 2 years. How bout you guys?

HappY Trails
                  Bill
                  ^v^
                  Gee, I started carving back in '87, but have not kept track of how many carvings I've made......I do, however, number some in sequence, if I'm carving the same thing multiple times.....like the six 'bear cubs in a stump' that I did this past Fall for gifts. And I sign and date all my carvings.

Comment

I started to number and date my carvings at first. I got to about 20 some and couldn't remember the last number, so now I just sign and date. I do take pictures of them. I'll bet if I go and count my pictures I'll know how many projects that I did. DUH. LOL. I realy don't care to know. If I would know it would make me feel tired. LOL. Merle

Comment

I've started to sign, date and number each one..

I have started the numbering fresh each year, and I'm on 2008.05 now.

Comment

Can you guys be more organized. I am guilty of forgetting to sign let alone date some of my carvings. I have been better lately signing them and try to date them!

My guess would be about 35-40 carvings. Some as gifts, most are still living here.

Comment

Haven't a clue? lol
                          "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

I started carving about two and a half years ago and have carved six Santas and sculpted one.. Pretty slow aren't I ?.. I number, sign and put a scripture verse on them.. But I painted 139 of Curtis' Santas, and kept a ledger of all of them.. naming them Snowflake Santa, seal Santa, Santa and snowman etc. then the number and date and Scripture verse. .. I photographed all of them and made two big scrapbooks of them.. also telilng something about each one . I am TRYING to work on a Santa now but need inspiration . Maybe a Santa with Reindeer houseshoes??? Charlotte

Comment

The first class I took they told us tu always sign your carvings . Up untill last
                              year I had not numbered them I'm om # 25 Smile

Comment

Not only do I sign and date each piece...

I also keep a log book on who has the piece and what part of the county it went to, weather I sold it or gave it as a gift,,,Bruce

Comment

Working...
                                X