Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update from Timberwerks

Hi Everyone

The past couple of months have been very busy and frustrating. The shop I will be building here is being put off until spring for a number reasons. First is because it is a lengthly process to get a building permit in the area I live, but it is going pretty well. The city is asking for a few more changes so this will take some time to work out. The other issue is I can not even get a concrete contractor to return my phone call. I guess they are getting as much done as they can before the cold snowy weather sets in and they are not taking on any new jobs at this time. I fiqure rather than going through anymore stress I'll just put things on hold until spring.

Since I will need a place to work I contacted my lanlord from a few years ago and asked if he had a small area available for me. It turned out he had a space he has been trying to rent for the last 9 months and said I could use a portion of the space until the spring when my shop is completed or until he finds a tenant. Last week I rented a truck and spent a day bringing over my equipment and had planned to set up a temporary shop the first week of November. Yesterday I got an Email from the landlord saying he has found a tenant and that they wanted the entire area including the portion I was intending on using. Now I have until Nov 1st to move my equipment out and put in in storage. My wife is letting me set up my bench in the family room so I can do some carving again. Everything else is just going into storage until my shop is done. I have moved so many times this last year I don't think I can take another so storage is the best option.

Once I take a break from this mental strain that I have been going through I will start to work at some carving again. It will be nice doing this at home. As I said earlier I have begun selling and processing firewood here at home also. I have even started to mill my own lumber . Splitting firewood has been a pleasant experiance so far because it helps releave stress and it is good excersise. I fiqure about mid November I'll be ready to start carving, maybe I'll do a mantel. I have so many nice pieces of wood I have saved from the splitter that will make beautifull carvings and sculptures. I also have two dump truck loads of Basswood logs that are 4' long and range from 6' to 18' in diameter and larger. If you happen to live in my area stop in and grab some. Or if you pay shipping I'll send you what you need (the logs are green).

Well thats all for now, I'll check in again once I go through this last move and get my bench set up here at home.

Take Care
    Dale

Re: Update from Timberwerks

Man! You've had a lousy time of it!! Keep the faith though, it'll be worth it in the end! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Good luck and keep us posted.

mikeg
    Mike B

Comment

I feel for you Dale! I'm having the same problem getting a concrete guy to give me an estimate. I finally got a hold of him last Thursday, said he'd be by Sunday, ...never saw him. I'm too busy at work (4-8 hours overtime every day this week only they don't pay overtime - give comp time. In my book that equals 1 1/2 hours for each hour of overtime ) to give him another call so my wife is going to try tomorrow.

Keep the faith buddy and keep calling the cement guy and at least have him commit to a time to do the work, even if it's next Spring! If you hold off, he'll be booked solid and won't be able to get you in!

Where is Mequon Wisconsin?

Comment

What's with these concrete guys, the cement around my pool all cracked badly and I called a concrete repairman to come and look at it. Took me three calls to get him there, said he would get back to within a week. That was the beginning of the summer, now my pool is closed and after five phone calls he still hasent shown up or given me an estimate. I am afraid that the days of good workers are behind us, every one wants the big money and the little people dont count. Sad but my friends it is true and I see it more and more each day. That is why I give 100% when I do a commission and I am always on time to do the job. Not only that but I always guarantee that if the customer isnt happy I will either fix it or they dont pay. I am really sorry to hear of you troubles seems like you have been trying forever to get that business off the ground. Hang in there things have a way of working out. I always say that if it doesnt kill you it will only make you stronger.
        Keep us posted and good luck
        Colin
        Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
        Jackson, MS

Comment

Thanks Guy's , yes it's been a rough time. I'm looking forward to taking a break and doing some carving.

Mequon is about 15 min North of Milwaukee.

Dale

Comment

Dale, I can't even imagine the frustration you must be feeling. Please take some 'relax' time if you get the chance, and we'll all have you in our thoughts.

Al

Comment

Hi Al

I think in a few weeks I'll feel a little more relaxed. I just have to get my things moved on more time and stop thinking about the shop until next year. I will start calling concrete contractors early so I can be first on the list. I'll still have meetings to go to with the city but since I'm no longer trying to get it done this year it will be less stressful. I did bring my bench home yesterday and that made things a bit better. I should have it set up the first part of November. After that I just need to think about what I should carve

Dale

Comment

Speaking of contractors and labor, I just returned from Eastern Europe, primarily Poland, The Czech Republic, Hungary, etc. The larorers there are outstanding. They have never had freedom before and have not known the free enterprise system. Now that they are exposed, they are going to give younger Americans fits in the competitive markets.

The supposed leadership position we now enjoy will definitely be challenged by these bright, talented, and energetic people -- along with Asians and the entire European Union. The lazy people of the world are headed for a rude awakening!

They are also doing all kinds of research with alternative forms of energy, including new automobiles that do not run on gasoline! Funny how exposure can expand ones mind....

Comment

Hey Dale,
                  Did you check with Oostburg Concrete? I think they go down to Mequon and do a fine job. But, like you said, they're all busy trying to beat the snows.
                  If you have the time, check out the Kettle Karvers Klub. We meet at Plymouth H.S. at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 3rd. We're always happy to have guests and meet other carvers.
                  Jim

Comment

Thanks Jim, I'll see if I can make it. No I didn't try Oostburg. I'll give them a try when I'm ready to pick up the project again. I had several phone calls in to Peter Lacatta and sons but they never even called back. I even tried JD Griffith to see if they would do the whole thing just so it would be done. The sales person just took the info and never called back. Other contractors I called said they would stop here to have a look, no one ever showed up. Oh well I quess it's better this way because I won't be rushing things.

Take Care
                    Dale

Comment

I heard or read somewhere there is some kind of worldwide shortage of concrete! Probably some fat cat trying to corner the market! >
                      "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Speaking of shortage, I'll be able to save some money on plywood by waiting until spring. The prices have gone up a bit now due to the huricanes that hit.

Dale

Comment

Hi everyone, I'm relatively new to this board as well as carving. I live in Oostburg, WI which is a little bit north of Mequon. Dale, where in Mequon are you setting up shop? It would be great to have a local source to purchase basswood! Best of luck to you on getting your shop set up. Mequon is a very nice community.

Troy

Comment

Hi Troy

My shop will be right here on our property. I'm in the area of Mequon Road and Green Bay Road also known as hwy57. The Basswood is free, let me know when you would like to stop by. The logs are green but you could make a small kiln and dry them at home. I also have large pieces of Maple, Ash, Elm. A friend of mine has hundreds of bf of Basswood dried and ready to go along with other wood. He owns a tree service and also has a sawmill.

Dale

Comment

Working...
                            X