a spoon question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a spoon question

hey everyone, i don't post to often, but i have a question, is there tutorial
    on spoon carving and what kind of knives to scoup out the bowls?

thanks,hen

Re: a spoon question

Yep. Go to Pinewood Forge Scandinavian Knives. Del has a number of pages on spoons and a link to his own tutorial on YouTube along with links to over 100 spoon sites. He also sells some of the finest knives for spoon carving to be found anywhere at very reasonable prices. I can say that because I own some of them.

Bob

Comment

And if you have a chisel or two,,say a # 5 or deeper,,,you can carve terrific bowls quite easily.I just did a sample for a friend using only a #5. Came out deep,,nice shape,,and smooth.Could be adapted to most any spoon and is simple and quick to do.

Comment

I believe Susan Irish has a tutorial on her site plus some free patterns.
        Wood Carving Illustrated - How To Magazine for Carvers

Comment

There are of course any number of ways to form bowl in a spoon. The fastest and cleanest way for me,,without having to buy special tools, is to simply use my chisels which most might have at least one or two.
          Here I did some fairly representative samples of sizes that might apply to most situations. I used a #3 , a #5 and a #7. I sketched out a general shape of a typical spoon freehand and then just carved away.In most every case the shape of the bowl is steeper and curved more than the shape of the chisel itself. You can see the sweep of the given chisel in the dark curve under or near the edge of the chisel. The first two are lightly sanded and the #7 is just the chisel finish. They range from 3/8ths inch deep to just over 1/2 inch.On each one I could have easily gone deeper and made them into ladles. As you can see my thumb fits easily in them.
          These are done in pine just 'cause I had it handy. And to do all three sanding and all,,,under 10 minutes.

OOPs..the FIRST one isn't sanded,,the second two are. Sorry 'bout that.

Comment

Working...
          X