How many cuts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many cuts?

I was finishing up a rattle I carved for my grandaughter last night, and cut my thumb. After a trip to the hospital and 2 stitches I thought I would ask all you carvers out there, how many cuts and stichtes have you guys had to endure or am I the only one? Happy Hal

Re: How many cuts?

You are not alone my friend, too many to mention. My doctor asked if I would like for him to teach me how to stitch myslef up. It gets better with time and practice.

Safe Carving and God Bless,

Mark

Comment

Thanks At least I don't feel all alone in my pain. The only bad part of this is I have to wait until I heal before I can start my next project :-( Not so Happy Hal

Comment

I've been to ER twice for cutting my left index finger. The third time I needed stitches - same old finger - I decided to see if I could ...er ... tape... it up myself. I did.

Comment

Had to get four stitches for a cut on my wrist. so I stopped carving when I get tired safer for me that way.

Comment

ive had one bad enough for stitches-- $165 and i thought it was a bargain. that was the first spring i seriously was carving some 8 yrs ago-- i still cut myself some-- but have a glove when im working on stuff that seems to be the most problems-- have never cut myself doing a relief carving.

it still hurts some and im still bleeding red-- so i guess all is good

Comment

Almost needed stitches a few times. Almost cut myself a few more times when the blade missed my fingers...

So I am very careful, and I use gloves or a vise "most" of the time.

I was lucky I suppose...

Gilles

Comment

Just starting and first day cut my thumb

Comment

cut my self several times then I bought a glove then cut myself again, just so you know a cut resistant glove only resists cuts when you wear it.

Comment

Since '85....countles cuts, but 2 yrs.ago I had one cut that resulted in 5 stitches.
                    Odd thing about it all.......the numbing hurt worse than the cut.

Comment

i started carving with knife, and immediately cut myself, ,,,but then i switched to chisels,,, i never cut myself, since i use gouges and chisels, and that is already 3 1/2 year ...impossible to cut yourself with those, since the work is fixed on table, and both hands are behind the cutting edge...just a thought to share, seing how many desasters happen with knifes...

Comment

I carve medium size and small, but also devise a way to hold the piece in a clamp.
                        I use chisels and knifes and have not cut myself as yet.
                        Terry

Comment

I've cut myself more times than I can remember but being cut with a very sharp knife don't hurt much...
                          I just hate it when I slip and get it in the gut...

Comment

Once a year I will get myself randomly throughout the year I will get little small pokes and slices but once a year I will cut myself bad. Seems the rules of thumb also is whenever I get a new tool it has to cut me at least once .
                            Carl

Comment

Thanks for the responses. My wife wants me to get a cut resistent glove. Although I am sure resistent is the operative word. It is hard for me to wear gloves because it cramps my hand. I guess I grip the carving harder with the glove on. Need to get my bench built so I have a place to clamp my carvings down on. Hal

Comment

Working...
                              X