How many cuts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How many cuts?

7 stitches about 6 months ago. Made one last cut without wearing my glove and it was a good one. The doctor said it was nice and straight! Easy to sew up.
    JimB

Comment

Originally posted by happyhal View Post
      I was finishing up a rattle I carved for my grandaughter last night, and cut my thumb. After a trip to the hospital and 2 stitches I thought I would ask all you carvers out there, how many cuts and stichtes have you guys had to endure or am I the only one? Happy Hal
      More than I care to admit....a couple were in to my left thigh.....had to have stiches because I was a dumb ***.

Comment

There is a trail of blood from my shop to my house.
        Herb

Comment

Had some pretty bad cuts but my son the paramedic steri strip it after cleaning itand used super glue. Suggestion, go pee before you use the super glue. LOL
          My cuts was after taking off the glove and makeing one last cut. Yeper, it always was "one last cut".

Comment

I have cut myself exactly 3 times since I started to carve in about April last year 2009.
            The first 2 led me to purchase a glove and this helped me to really cut myself badly straight through the glove. I didn't like the feel or should I say lack of it that the glove caused was focused on that annoyance and slipped bad.
            Since then I threw out the bloodied glove, still worry about the slightly numb thumb and pay a lot more attention when I carve. If my mind wanders I stop!
            Little pokes with gouges dont count right because I know the exact shape of all four of my flexcut's by the shape they left on or around my left hand index.

Comment

kenny-- you obviously didnt read the warning label on super glue-- there a places you arent supposed to apply it- lol

Comment

To many to mention.

Bill

Comment

I've been carving for over 35 years and although I have cut myself probably a dozen times I have never needed more than a Band-Aid. The last few years have helped though as I have gone to more and more power carving.

Comment

I've had several nicks in more than 10 years of carving, but never bad enough for stitches. Most of my nicks come from handling my tools, not carving with them. My instructor always stresses safe carving, and still corrects us if he sees an unsafe act.
                    Matthew

Comment

I have a few cuts here and there , nothing serious though . None since getting a good carving glove and carvers tape . I do try to clamp and use gouges , but I also enjoy sitting in my comfy shop chair with a cup of coffee and whittle away . Doris does make a good point about keeping the hands behind the blade and clamping . I guess it all depends on what you are carving and your personal style of carving .

Comment

I havent cut myself carving yet but as a flooring installer more time than i can count. My best friend is toilet paper and duck tape.

Comment

My first cut was when I was eight and used my grandpa's gouge - still have the scar on the palm of my left hand. BUT I haven't cut myself much since (I'm now 77). Never required stitches. The most embarassing was last summer at the Spokane Woodcarvers Rendezvous: poked a small gouge into my left hand.

Comment

Just like shane said - lol - we can cut ourselves doing just about anything.
                            This afternoon I was making peanut brittle and I burned my left thumb so bad I have to type without it not an easy task

Comment

I've cut myself several times. Never bad enough to go to the hospital. Just put a band aid on it and go back to carving. My doctor doesn't like the fact that I'm a wood carver since I take blood thinners.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys Hal

Comment

Working...
                                X