Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How many cuts?

Originally posted by Mark Dellinger View Post
    You are not alone my friend, too many to mention. My doctor asked if I would like for him to teach me how to stitch myslef up. It gets better with time and practice.

Safe Carving and God Bless,

Mark
    I have stitched my self before. For a good while I had a suture set at the house. The most important part of it is the numbing medicine though. Most often I just use super glue.

Comment

I had only been carving about three months when I slipped with the knife and stabbed it into my left wrist. My Dad drove me to the hospital with the knife still stuck in my wrist. We wanted the doctor to remove it in case of any damage. Luckily for me my little mis-adventure only cost me two stitches.

Comment

30 years ago when i started i cut myself almost every week but never that bad, always had band aids somewhere ,, never had stitches, as a farmer you learn to just wrap it up and keep on going, now mostly i cut myself not carving but sometimes taking knives out of the tool box lol

YouTube - carverswoodshop's Channel
        blog carverswoodshop

Comment

I have had several "nicks". I have not needed stitches for any of my cuts. Band aids have covered it. Much like the others I have not cut myself while carving with chisels. But I have cut myself on my chisels usually while putting them in and out of the tool roll. Be safe and dont carve when tired.

K

Comment

Several cuts, one set of stiches, after that one the rest I clean, alchohol swab, and super glue. Its funny I have cut myself twice near the intersection of my thumb and pointer finger. I have one scar that is dotted from stiches and one right behind it that is smooth and straight from where I superglued it.

Comment

So far, no major cuts since I started carving a year or so ago. A few nicks here and there. Perhaps not surprisingly, I've never cut myself when wearing a glove and thumb guard. (I'm not counting the chunk I took out of my thumb with an X-Acto gouge when I was 9 or 10 years old.)

Comment

Amazing how this thread varied all over the block. In my own confession, I've been to the ER twice in 21 years. The first time I drove a flat skew into the base of my thumb.
                The last time was a lacerated forefinger. 4 stitches on that one. Let's not count my boyhood days when the pocketknife was often my nemises and my dad's bane!

Comment

Only twice today -- the worst cut several years ago was catching a skew when it fell off the carving table -- they always land on the edge.
                  Kelley

Comment

I've cut myself worse when sharpening a hatchet than I ever have with carving tools, and I use all sorts of knives and gouges. A nick here and there happens, usually when I'm reaching for a tool. I did save myself from a serious cut a few years ago when I found myself pushing against the sharpened part of the blade on a double-edged bent knife (North Bay Forge knife).

I think that it's a matter of always being aware of not only where the tool's edge is now but also where the edge could go.

Bob

Comment

side from a few little nicks and cuts just one. I was doing a relief carving on dollar store plate that was turned from a bunch of laminated strips. My Warren #11 straight gouge went through one strip and entered my hand between my left thumb and wrist. Luckily it slipped under the skin and didn't do any serious damage. If I ever need to see the curvature of my gouge I just check the scar. No more dollar store junk for blanks for me. As a plus, I am now very aware of a blade's present and future positions.

Comment

My only noteworthy cut, and yes there was one, was a year ago last August.
                        It's photo-documented here on the Message Board somewhere.
                        7-8 stitches internally and a similar number of staples externally to close up a surgeon-worthy slice to my right thigh where I had set a board for chip carving and broke a couple of basic knife safety rules.
                        It was a cheap lesson, but pretty dramatic and frightening for the family none the less.

It will NEVER happen again...at least not for those reasons.

Other than that just a few nicks and scratches...no more than when fly fishing was my primary past time instead of wood carving.

RussL.

Comment

Wow I am amazed at how many posts this tread got. I now do not feel as alone as I did early last Saturday morning (1:30 AM) sitting in the emergency room at the Hospital. Hal

Comment

Working...
                          X