What makes a Woodcarver a Woodcarver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a Woodcarver a Woodcarver?

I have a problem of saying" I'm a Woodcarver". Does Woodcarver mean,"a person that carves wood well" or " a person that just cuts wood with a knife, no matter how good it is". People ask me when they see my carving, if I'm a Woodcarver and I tell them That I carved it. I know it's mind over matter,but I don't mind and it doesn't matter, just thought I would ask. Merle

Re: What makes a Woodcarver a Woodcarver?

Merle, by all means "You're a woodcarver". You also have a unique way with your pieces and then you can do a fantastic job painting them too.
    I by no means think that I'm in the class of some of the great carvers here on this site, but I consider myself at the top of what I do and generally pleased with what I call finished carvings, which is really what matters. I can tell from looking at your carvings that you know down inside that you're on top of what you do and are pleased with the results, it shows in your work. My 2 pennies worth.
    Have a great one Merle and looking forward to the next great carving from an "EXCELLENT WOODCARVER"
    Dan

Comment

I've never really thought much about it, but my personal take is that a "woodcarver" is one who makes their living or a substantial amount of money from carving/teaching/publishing the craft.

I've never considered myself a woodcarver, merely a wood carving hobbyist. Just my $.02 worth.

Comment

In my mind a woodcarver sells or can sell his work
        a whittler gives it away
        I am a whittler
        Both make the recipient of the work happy and that is what counts
        Herb

Comment

I carve wood into a different form. I know I'm not the best and I know I haven't sold anything, just bartered a few spoons. But when I see branches from a tree trimming and ask if I can have some, and the person says"what do you want it for," I tell them, " I'm a wood carver!"
          https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

Comment

I am a beginner woodcarver. That clears up any mistake that I might actually have any idea what I'm doing.

Comment

I believe that Sharon has expressed my view. If you think you are a woodcarver then you are one. It has nothing to do with income or ability.

Comment

I was asked once if I was a wood carver. My response was "nah, I just fart around with wood." That is truly how I look at it. I play with wood until something nice comes out or it turns into kindling.

For me if every piece turns out the way I see it in my head, and looks good to boot, then I will be a wood carver. Until then I'm a wood chipper.

Comment

I think if you carve wood, then you're a woodcarver....
                  One of my friends who I've been helping learn, was really surprised when I introduced her as another woodcarver, and it equally surprised me that she was surprised I called her one.
                  Of course she's a woodcarver. She has her own tools, has completed several very fine pieces, and thinks about it when she's not actively carving.
                  She still won't call herself an artist, but she's working up to that.

I'm a woodcarver, and to me, so is everyone on this board who carves.
                  Christina
                  Steve

Comment

I have made more money from my paintings than my woodcarvings. I think most folks that buy art are pretentious and they think woodcarving is folk art. I know this comment will hurt some feelings. I am a woodcarver that paints to help support my love my passion. I have sold paintings that took me 20 hours to paint for over a thousand dollars. I have sold woodcarvings that took me over 100 hours for much less than one hundred dollars. I am a woodcarver because I say so.

Comment

I'm a woodcarver... and a whittler... but most of all, as it says below my screen name, I'm an expert chip maker. I can make some real interesting wood chips.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your opinions on Woodcarver or not. Is it self praise or just a title? I do like Kitayes self evaluation,gave me a good laugh. I guess it is in the eye of the beholder. I had a person ask me if I was the Artist that carved the piece and I said I carved it but didn't think I was an artist,she said if I was the one that carved that piece I was an artist. I guess you are what you are. Interesting Question though Huh?
                        Merle

Comment

I think Christina hit the nail on the head . If you carve and have a passion for it then I would say you are a woodcarver . Pro , artist , hobbyist , all love to carve , that's all that matters in my book . Enjoy it .

Comment

I don't consider myself a wood carver, i'm just somebody who loves to carve wood !

Comment

The spelling.

Comment

Working...
                              X