What makes a Woodcarver a Woodcarver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Merle Rice View Post
    Re: What makes a Woodcarver a Woodcarver?

I have built model Airplanes since I was in the 5th grade and later in life I built Radio controled Airplanes and Helicopters and that might be were I get my way of thinking. For me to carve anything I must have a Picture to work from as in Modeling. Hey I just got a thought, I make Models not carvings. Ha,Ha. Maybe someday I'll be a WOODCARVER. hA,hA.. This was an interesting Thread and I enjoyed all of the opinions from you guys. Thank you. It made me do some thinking and that is a good thing. Merle
    What is this - a WoodModeler ? just doesn't fit and spelling is broken. I've carved animals, boats, planes, flew planes both models and a C-47. Long since age 4 when I was a wood-worker. Building chicken coops, lizard cages and such. I whittled on twigs and 'orange crates'. I have moved on in older age into wood carving and therefore am a woodcarver. One who does wood carving. Martin

Comment

19049-04.jpgThe wood worker can make wood crafts, woodcrafts men can make decorative carvings..wood carvers can make art. Such a major subject....with board horizons. This is a functional work, which could be label as a household carpenter work.....it is for your bugs, this is a cricket cage or is it art, or is it woodcarving? Words and labels that often are used to keep you in a box for one's own political means.

Comment

It's fun to see this discussion come around again. Many good thoughts!
        Now I would add - a woodcarver is a person with a table or bookshelf or wall covered with wooden objects with tool marks; stuff that should be thrown out but can't be, because it embodies hours of careful work and memories and pleasure.

Comment

Years ago a member of this forum stated, a would be carver would be a carver if they would carve wood. Sums up my take.
          Steve Reed - Carvin' in the flatlands!
          My FB page:https://www.facebook.com/stephen.ree...7196480&type=3

Comment

Working...
          X