Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fastest way to way to loose interest in carving!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fastest way to way to loose interest in carving!

Oh, Tom, I feel so bad for you! I sure hope you can get out from under pretty soon, and hope you've learned a lesson from it. You're a better person than me, that's for sure. I NEVER carve anything more than once.....even my woodfellows are all different. It would drive me insane to carve the same thing over and over. In any case, I hope you can get through this committment and then make time to carve for only yourself for awhile.....and only what you WANT to carve. Good luck to you, my friend. Bonnie

Comment

I know what you mean. I make hunting knives. I don't make two alike. I have lots of people wanting to buy them but if I went into production it would be too much like a job!

Comment

I've made well over 100 of Tom's 5 minute wizards, (30 something of them were converted to Santas). I enjoy it still I give them away all of the time. People love them. Thanks Tom.. And it's true, I've become a better carver from constantly putting blade to wood. I do do other carvings as well, but find evenings carving by the old TV is very relaxing.

Comment

This is what happens when art is mass produced; its no longer art, its a labor. I'd never consider doing this.

Comment

tom,
            sorry to say but im with arleen on this one,

the one way ive found out to wreck a great hobby that you enjoy is to start doing it for production...

Comment

Yep! Yes! Right on! Correct!
              But, Knowing some kids will be very happy, and having a few thousand to spend makes it all better.

Tom H
              http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Whittled Thumb View Post
                This is what happens when art is mass produced; its no longer art, its a labor. I'd never consider doing this.
                No longer art?

So a 'Bronze' sculptor who carves in wax or clay then ships it off to a factory to be replicated a thousand times is creating art? There's nothing mass produced about what's going on here. Each piece is individually carved by hand...sure if you line them all up the un-trained eye (and probably some trained ones too) will say they all look the same. If you look close you can easily tell that no two are 'exactly' alike.

No, its not for everybody, but what each individual does here whether they're a hobbyist, commissioned artist, or whatever, their work is not for everybody either.

The differences in approach, style, and work here is what makes this site as interesting as it is...and its ALL art.

Comment

All I can say is my carvings are not up to selling standard, so I avoided the hazard of big orders. Well I've got to think positive.

Comment

Nope its no longer art because its WORK, its not love of art its the love of money that motivates you to produce it. Its your choice if you want to sell your art out for money...I hope he makes a bundle but I myself could not do it for money....It cheapens the whole concept!

Thats all I got to say about that!

Comment

Working...
                    X