Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carving in the basement ??

Hi everybody

Well, winter is going to be here soon in Canada and I already need to have my heater started for about 15-20 minutes in my garage before its warm enough to work in there. That is no problem if I know that I'll be in there for a few hours working, but this week when I was cleaning up the unfinished part of my basement I started to think that it would be nice to have a spot where I could do some carving indoor.
    So, I'm wondering if some of you actually do carve inside your house and what kind of setup you have. I was thinking of building myself a small bench around a downdraft table so that it could catch most of the dust.

I would be very interested to konw what you guys are doing and what kind of setup you have for indoor carving. Maybe a few pictures would help too !

Cheers!

GC

Re: Carving in the basement ??

I'm a whittler, knife only, so no dust involved. I get to carve in the dining room or my home office where there is no carpet (hardwood). It's easy to sweep and always warm. I do have a full wood shop in the garage, and have the same issues you do with heating it in the winter. I also have a workbench and a few tools in the basement, and a shelf where I finish my little projects. All I really need is good light, comfy chair and some air flow.
    BfloBif
    blog at www.bflobif.com
    Buffalo Bif
    www.bflobif.com

Comment

Lap table let's me carve just about anywhere.

Comment

Basement carver here. No dust.

Terry

Comment

I've been suffering with the same un-heated garage shop you're talking about. So, this year, I decided to take part of our basement and consolidate my workshop down there. It's not just carving, it's all my woodworking equipment. The space is heated and air conditioned year-round, and I installed a central dust collector that is connected to all of my machines. I'll do my heavy, mallet carving in the new shop. My sit-down carving I'll still do on the first floor of our house in our sunroom. I don't power carve, so carving dust is not an issue. Mike
          Matthew

Comment

I have my bandsaw set up in the garage, I have a sears dust collector in the basement and do a lot of power carving in my basement shop. I have walled off a little room for any power carving I do. This keeps dust a a minimum, and the dust collector is a must.

The other part of my shop is set up for my hand tool carving. although I am now in the process of replacing the sheet rock in the shop so my shop is in turmoil.

But as for your question in Canada, and Minnesota (unless your garage is heated) a basement shop is the way to go.

Good Luck!

I will attach pictures as soon as I'm done.

Comment

I am more of a whittler I carve mostly in the living room. I have a table that is about 25" by 15" whose legs will slide under my glider rocker. That chair seems to be better for the back . I have an apron that I can take a couple hand clamps and clamp one end to the table and 90 % of the chips go in that. My wife has a floor sweeper and a vacuuming both she generously lets me use. I have a 7x7x9 inch plastic box with 3 drawers in it so I can put my knifes in if company with small children should show up.

Comment

I set up a space in my basement, but it's like a cave in there. I whitewashed the stone walls, hung a sheet of plywood over my bench, and put up a plywood wall painted white on one side. I added some lighting. I use a DC720 dust collector. Also, I use an electric space heater in the dead of winter. It's a place to carve if you're a ground hog, but I miss the natural light. Sorry I don.t have pix, but it's nothing special.
                DickB

Comment

Before our shop was built my brother and I carved in an upstairs bedroom and had our bandsaw in the living room, that went on for about a year. Mom got sick of the dust that escaped the collectors and we ended up building a shop.
                  Carl

Comment

Our last daughter at home moved out last year, it was bitter sweet...kinda like your ex driving your Cadillac over a cliff.....anyway this desk was offered to me by my brother-in-law who lost interest in refinishing it, its solid oak built in the early 50's. My daughters bed room was on the first floor just off the living room, AND I NABBED IT !!!! First rehab move was to take all the carpet out and put a wood floor in, then the desk, and a couple shelves...oola a carving room ! My wife got a little flat screen TV for me for Christmas and we added a futon. I'm thinking if I set up a fridge and maybe a micro wave I could probably make it till April.....
                    https://www.facebook.com/baggerleather/

Comment

I dont do much carving at home...no time really due to work/commute. However, most of my stuff is at my parents farm where, this summer, I took over my nephew's cabin (he went into the marines). I put in a desk, shelves and that is where I do my carving. It's out in the woods so it is fairly shady and cool in the summer. For the upcoming winter season, I put in a electric baseboard heat that keeps it comfy. A tv, cot, my dog and I'm all set I'll try to take a picture and post it later.

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad View Post
                        Basement carver here. No dust.

Nice set up Terry!

Dave

Comment

I carve inside, mostly in the living room an old TV tray makes a pretty decent carving table. I also spend a lot of time in hotels and carve there as well. I have a band saw in the garage plus a work bench for large pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf Coast Handyman View Post
                            Nice set up Terry!

Dave
                            Thanks Dave. I have an office and workshop in my basement. Comortable temps year round. It's quiet down here. Just the way I like it.
                            Terry

Comment

I carve at my computer desk. It is "L" shaped and I use the non computer side for carving. I have my carving tools in a very large fishing lure box with many drawers and cubby holes. I sweep up after carving to keep the missus happy. Warm and snuggly in winter and A/C in the summer. Works for me !!

Comment

Working...
                              X