How did you get started in wood carving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you get started in wood carving

My father was a wood carver that's how I got into it .But what made you get into it and who has inspired you in your great adventure?

Re: How did you get started in wood carving

My Dad also was a woodworker and heavily into gun restoration which brought him to wood carving. When he closed down his workshop because of health issues he gave my husband many of his wood working tools, equipment, and a huge stack of Wood, Wood Worker, and Chip Chat magazines.

So as Michael lovingly oiled, polished, and fine tuned his new toys I browsed through the magazines and came across an article in Wood about carving feathers ... it was just this time of year because it was about three weeks before Christmas.

So ... being a crafter from way back ... I grabbed one of my kitchen paring knives and a scrap of pine lumber and had at it ... those feathers are still hanging here in my studio. I was so proud when I showed them to Dad. But when I told him out I did them he 'hurrumphed' and 'snorted'. About two weeks later under Dad's tree was a package for me.

YEP! My own bench knife, a set of six beginner tools and a bundle of basswood ...

Well, that's my story on how I got addicted to all of this.

Susan
    Lora

Art Designs Studio: https://www.artdesignsstudio.com/
    LSIrish.com: https://www.lsirish.com/
    CarvingPatterns.com: https://www.carvingpatterns.com/

Comment

That is a great story mine is somewhat the same .I hacked away at a piece of wood showed my dad and he gave me his set of millers falls gouges the ones with the green tips on the handles .I still have them put them in a display case and put them on my wall in my workshop.

Comment

My great grandfather was a master cabnett maker and part of his training in the Black Forest region required him to learn to carve the items necessary for the things he was making.

When I retired my wife decided I needed something to keep me busy while she did her work around the house ( I took over the vacuuming and dusting).

She saw an add for some carving classes and suggested I go see if any of great grandpa's genes had sifted down to me. I took the class and the rest as they say is history.

Comment

My old boss is a awesome wood carver, after seeing his work I was hooked.

Dave

Comment

My dad was a talented folk carver. He worked as an operator in a refinery, a job that entailed long periods of just sitting around. He would take a piece of mesquite and a pocket knife to work with him (try THAT these days!) and filled the down time by making chips. He never sold anything, but the family never let any of his carvings hang around long. He never taught me anything formally. I guess I just absorbed the lessons osmotically.

Comment

I loved carving when I was young, back in the Boy Scouts. I put my knife away in my teens and didn't pick it up again until about six years ago. I'm a mechanical engineer and after crunching numbers all day, I needed a creative outlet to let my mind relax. I remembered how much I enjoyed woodcarving when I was young, so I went to the local craft store and bought myself a truly terrible bench knife and a set of pittiful gouges. Even though the tools were of awful quality, I was hooked. Been loving it ever since.
              Brandant Robinson
              Woodcarving Blog - www.theoldstump.blogspot.com
              Custom Folding Knives - https://www.therobinsonedge.com/
              Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/brandant.robinson.1

Comment

I started when I was 6 or 7 for no reason other than I liked making things.

Comment

I got started more or less by money being in short supply and the need for a gift or two.
                  Wood magazine had an article on a spoon with 3 hearts and I had a chunk of walnut collected at the landfill. I decided I could at least give it a try and I have been carving off and on as time allowed since.
                  The spoon still hangs in the kitchen and my wife still likes it so the blisters from my old pocket knife were well worth it.
                  Happy Holidays to All
                  Have A Great Day
                  Terry
                  Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most!

Comment

When I was in high school my grandpa tried to get me to duplicate a carving he had. I didn't have the patience or desire.
                    About 20 years later, my dad tried to get me interested in a carving program on TV. I had problems gripping anything due to RA, and dropped that idea once again.
                    A third time came around with tools and magazines that I had inherited from an uncle, and it took me a couple of years then I was hooked. You fine folk at the WCI forum have been my inspiration.
                    Thanks for a great time!
                    Michael

Comment

I too started whittling when I was in the boy scout and always enjoyed working with wood as a hobby. About fifteen years ago I started making Long Bows for hunting, five years later I started carving figures on the bow handles.Then one day I saw a Wood Carving Illustrated and Carving
                      Magazine at a news stand.I purchased both magazines and carved a couple of bears from a pattern on one of these magazines and got hooked on carving.I went to Barnes & Noble and purchased every carving book I could find and have been carving every from every pattern I liked.To this day I am looking forward in attending a raptor carving classes but none have been available in my area,to say I am self taught is a misnomer as I learned from carving books.
                      Oscar

Comment

Thanks for all the replies just sometime you sit down and wonder what made all you fellow carvers get into this great hobby

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf Coast Handyman View Post
                          My old boss is a awesome wood carver, after seeing his work I was hooked.

Dave
                          Long time ago, I was a member of the NE Iowa wood carvers association, that met in Waterloo.
                          I didn't know much about carving until the group had Harold Enlow come in. I was always a great cow boy fan, and when I saw that he knew how to carve cow boys, I signed up for his class.

He carved most of the carving for me, but that was the inspiration that I needed to get busy and teach my self, thru the trial and error process. I'm glad that I did it that way, because, one thing's for sure, you can learn a lot
                          from your mistakes.

I not only make cow boys, but I know now, how to do just about any thing that I want to make.

Comment

I started back in the 60's as a Art Class project (Praying Hands in Walnut). Still have it in workshop. Dad went out and got me a set of Millers Falls Gouges the ones with the green tips on the handles (still have them too). I've been carving on and off ever sense.

Comment

Like so many others here, I too found no greater inspiration for carving wood and generally using my hands as a catalyst for achieving life goals than my dad. Other integral ingredients at a young age were the boy scouts and growing up during an era when video games and i-phones weren't around, but I do admit that 'Super Saturday' cartoons did take their toll. LOL!
                              Dave Brock

Comment

Working...
                              X