Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A yearly cane

Bob D.

you will let us know when we are to carve , what we are to carve . who is choosen to carve. and all that stuff.
    Just old Jim

Comment

Never tried to carve a animal,but if I get a hippo that looks like santa it's not
      my fault.
      Mark N. Akers
      My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Hey Bob,

What size should I cut my blanks and would you be willing to drill them? I don't have a drill press and sometimes the hole gets a little wonky.

I'ld be happy to do two blocks, one for Christmas and one for outdoors.

Merru Christmas!

Comment

lindy- the standard size for cane segments is 2x2x3 with a 5/8" hole bored through the lenth.

Frank
          Safety first

Comment

Hi BobD,

Here is one of the pieces I have carved for the Friendship Cane. It is 3" high but is a little less than 2" wide carved although it did of course start out as 3"x2"x2" stock and I still have to paint it.

So 2 questions for you - can it be less than 2" across and if I can't get this drilled (I don't have a drill press) can you get it drilled?

Please let me know, thanks!

Oh yeah! The second picture is of the top of the piece so you can see how "un" square/round it is.

Comment

We'll work it out somehow Lindy!
              Thanks!
              Bob

Comment

Hey Bob,

I haven't been on here for a while but this thread caught my eye. I'd like to do a segment(s). If you decide to do 2, I can one for each of them. I missed the last one and I'd like to help out on this one.

Like I said, I haven't been on for a while and I've been trying to go through and read all of the postings. What were the dimensions of the block and the hole size?

Thanks,
                Chris.

Comment

It's 2" wide, 2" thick and 3" tall with a 5/8" diameter hole drilled through the center.

Thanks!

Bob

Comment

I guess it's time to formalize this a little more (since the ornament swap season is over).

Looks like the outdoor theme beat our Holiday--but it's close. So lets do 2, a holiday and an outdoor. We'll assemble them at Fox Chapel again.

Bob

Comment

So can anyone do one or two?? If so, where do we send them once they are finished??

Blake

Comment

Sorry, should have been more specific:

You can carve as many segments as you want. We'll assemble the cane here at Fox Chapel Publishing, 1970 Broad Street, East Petersburg, PA 17520. The canes will be auctioned off to benefit a charity the board chooses.

Bob

Comment

Okay, I have my 2 segments completed except the drilling and I will be able to do that here. Here are pictures of them.

Question - should the top & bottom of the piece be painted as well?

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the top and bottom; they will be covered by the other segments!

Anyone interested in doing something as a topper?

Bob

Comment

Hey Bob! When do you want these in by? I was wondering how much time we would have before you put the cane together.

Thanks!
                              Blake

Comment

I would like to recommend either the salvation army or the 700 club.....whatever you think or believe, these two organizations are the first on the scene at any disaster and ask nothing of the people in need....they are more than worthy in my opinion. but again just my opinion!
                                "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Working...
                                X