Question for Heineke Customers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Heineke Customers.

We are currently having our annual carving show this weekend, and I was going to buy a fair amount of wood from the vendor that always comes (in an effort to support the one who supports us). I did buy quite a few smaller pieces (2x2 stock, and thin wood for ornaments). The problem I am struggling with is this; His wood is generally of good quality, and I have been satisfied with it in the past ( I have used wood from Heineke that others gave me so I can make a comparison)...but this time the prices are at least double what Heineke advertised. Those of you who have ordered from Heineke, can you give me your best estimate of what percentage of total cost did the shipping charges run. Our club has ordered from Heineke in the past, and I remember the fella that handled that say (I think he said anyway) that the shipping was almost as much as the wood itself. I won't be ordering pieces longer than 12 or 18 inches, so with the availability of the one price boxes from the postal service I wonder if this is an accurate estimate of shipping? Please give me your best guess so I
    can decide in the future if I want to order wood or continue to support our regular vendor. Thanks for your replies in advance.

Re: Question for Heineke Customers.

I order wood from Heinecke all the time and the shipping is pretty expensive...probably because of the weight of the package. I just received 12 1" x 1" sticks from them and, you're right, the shipping was almost as much as the cost of the wood. Heinecke seems to wrap all of their packages in cardboard...they never use shipping boxes. If they used the USPS Flat Rate boxes it might save on the shipping sometimes depending on what you ordered.
    Keep On Carvin'
    Bob K.

My Woodcarving blog: https://www.woodchipchatter.com

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

I never ordered from Heineke for that specific reason - their shipping prices were out of line compared to other vendors. Though, I haven't had to order wood in quite a while.

Comment

The prices on shipping were a bit high but I've shipped wood myself from New York to home and it too was expensive as heck. However, if I compare the cost of a 2 X 2 X 12 from heinecke vs what I might buy at Michael's It's far cheaper. For the quality I'll purchse the wood from Heinecke. It's the downside of living far from good suppliers.

Dan

Comment

My last order cost $192.64, including shipping. Shipping was $26.99, or 14% of the bill. But I have enough wood to last me several years.
          Terry

Comment

Cost of shipping as everything else has gone up, I used to
            by Tupelo from a vender out of my area, the fact that I live
            across the country from all wood venders has gone "sky high".
            However a month or so ago, discovered a huge lumber supplier
            that carry a large supple of basswood, even though the cost
            is higher than any supplier back East, I now of a local supplier
            where twenty minute drive can keep me well supplied.
            For those carvers in or around Southern California, check out
            Reel Lumber their lumber yard is in Anaheim, CA, with a lumber
            yard in in Riverside, CA.
            Oscar

Comment

it might depend on how they ship if possible some places let you chose the method and cost but not all. the problem for the supplier is that people will order and then think it should have arrived already and call the supplier and say where is my order? forgetting that the cheaper priced shipping takes longer. Its just easier for the supplier to send the product the most expediently way possible and avoid a lot of phone calls on the delivery end. Not only but you have to remember that little package goes to a warehouse, to a airplane to another warehouse to the truck to your house. Lots of equipment, hands and fuel make that package move. that you get what you ordered at all is a miracle. next time you order from any supplier get the shipping details down and you wont be disappointed when you think about it later. Buyer beware is the rule here

Comment

I order from Hawaii and the cost is about one forth of the price of wood, although I make large orders. Last order was 600 dollars and shipping was 160. Although this was a year ago... and I know orders in the mainland shipping are a
                lot cheaper. I ship the cheapest method ...and request it from the beginning of an order and always request a quote on the order shipping cost.
                . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

I get all my wood from them Slow. And all I Can say is they are super easy to deal with and fantastic people. If it costs me a couple bucks extra to help keep them in business? They get my money Not to mention it is the best carving wood I have used, I love it.

Comment

The freight on my order came out to .72 per stick of wood I ordered a couple of weeks ago. But, that's a pretty small cost considering I ordered enough wood to make over 30 different carvings, large and small. Freight is only going to go up in the future!

Comment

I'm picking up an order in Dayton this weekend…maybe see if they sell at a show near you?

Comment

I look at it this way. I don't drink beer so I figure that I'm saving at least a six-pack or $7.00 a week for $364.00 a year. I also don't smoke so I'm saving at least a pack a day, about $6.00, or $2,190 a year. So if you take a total on my savings from giving up my bad habits I've got an extra $2,554 a year to spend. What's an extra $0.72 shipping per piece of wood. In fact, I've got so much money left over I think I'll go out buy me a brand new set of tools! <GRIN>

Comment

I talked to Tim Heinke this weekend at our show. I bought wood last year and it lasted me for the whole year. This year I got about the same amount of wood and it was in 2 bundles. I asked Tim about shipping if I were to replace the wood and he said that the initial shipping for the first bundle runs about $13 but to add the same amount of wood of the second bundle was would be about $5 more. I purchased $90 worth of wood. I think it is the minimum charge that is shocking especially on a small order. If you have others near you it might help you on shipping savings to do a group order and split down the shipping. We are talking about doing this at our local carving group to save some shipping bucks.

Comment

We had this same discussion at our carving club,( a couple of years ago ) several were whining about the high cost of shipping Heinke's wood. I brought to the next meeting several advertisements from several well known wood venders and a bill from my last wood purchase from Heinke. even with the cost of the shipping , the cost of the wood was a lot cheaper than the other venders, and I did not even add the cost of shipping that the other people was going add to charge for their wood. and I want to tell you you can't really find better wood than Heinke's wood or find better people to deal with. where else can you order now and pay when you get it.

Jim

Comment

Board feet = (L x W x H)/144 (dimensions in inches). Convert your wood to board feet to compare costs. One person who lives in Michigan said she never pays more than $4/board-foot. All online vendors are about twice that price to start, and shipping is added to that. I don't live in Michigan, so I pay the price to get the wood.

Comment

Working...
                              X