How many hours...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many hours...

a week do you spend carving? I have MD and have to limit my time to an hour two or three times a week but wish it was more so thought I'd see how much YOU spend carving, thanks.

John

Re: How many hours...

When you have other things you must do ....then everything is on a time line. I wish I had the physical abilities to carve all day into the night, but the body will not let me. So I only .... get about 50 hours a week, sometimes more, sometimes less.
    . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

I try to carve 2 to 3 times a week for a couple of hours, and on the weekend if nothing is going on.

Comment

A couple hours a day, on average...sometimes more, often less.

Comment

All day. None. Everything in between. Basically some carving every day, 1 hr+.
          Lotsof other stuff on my plate this winter. I think that we all do what we can, when we can.
          Brian T

Comment

For me it's a hobby among many activities, so I spend an hour, or several hours, each day depending how involved I am in a carving project. I probably spend more time browsing this site, or playing computer games. LOL

Comment

Not near enough I spend too much time on my day job, I get one Sunday per month off and that is my marathon carving day.

Comment

Pf possible I try and carve everyday. I feel like if I don't I loose my touch ( if you know what I mean). With Hubby being ill my time is limited now but that's ok as long as I have both. Ginny

Comment

I carve an average of 6 days a week, for 2-4 hours a day. In this I include painting as well, some days I do 6 hours, sometimes things go poorly and it is 30 minutes, but I estimate I average 20 or so hours in a typical week.

Comment

Depends on what I'm carving. Right now, I'm working on a relief, and I'm at a very tedious stage of delicate parts, undercutting, cleanup, etc., so I don't carve more than an hour a day...I start getting tense, and I know I'll screw it up if I keep going. So right now about seven hours a week.

On the other hand, if I'm at a roughing out stage, or on a simple project, or one that's really fun but not too challenging, or just "in the groove," I might double that.

I have to keep reminding myself that I do this for fun, that it's not a job to get completed, that it's OK to say the hell with it for a while if it doesn't go well...old habits from a lifetime of competitive work die hard.

When I run into a carving problem, I might spend more time looking at it, thinking about it day and night, than I do actually cutting wood. It's time well spent, and "on carving," so I suppose that should count as "carving time," too.

By the way, John, I have an adult son with MD whom I care for...as it goes along, it takes up quite a bit of time each day. I understand the problems you face. As I tell my son, "YOU don't have MD, the FAMILY has MD," as we all share in its effects.
                    Arthur

Comment

I have no idea. My carving time varies with my work load and I work a lot at home. Usually there are not enough hours in the day for work. I do a lot more carving during the summer. I try to carve every day during the summer, at least 2 or more hours per day.
                      Terry

Comment

Like Phil, I have many interests, none of which are obsessions. I carve when the mood strikes me and like Arthur, if I come across a problem I sometimes spend a lot of time thinking about it. Unfortunately, this leads me into the situation that Ginny fears of losing the touch. Its most frustrating to come across a problem that you know you have solved but can't quite remember exactly how you did it. But it is still a rewarding and enjoyable hobby. In answer to the original question, it could be zero hours one week and ten or twenty the next. It depends on the project.

Comment

I like to carve every day in fact if a day goes by that I don't pick up a knife it is newsworthy. I don't keep track of the hours but probably 30 hours per week maybe more.
                          Herb

Comment

Afterthought:
                            When I get stuck, not sure what to do next or how, that's thinking time. If I waited until I figured out the puzzle, some weeks would see very little carving.
                            But, with 6-8 WIP's on the go and more fresh ideas in my sketch book, the sheer novelty never wears off. They are all at different stages.

The regional native community is the Lheidli T'enneh. Saw their art and carving show a couple of days ago. Great. 18' dugout canoe, masks, ladles and 2D art. One pair of paintings, each maybe 48" x 72." When I got the message, I started laughing. So clever. Good thing I took a sketch book, I don't try to copy anything but I had lots of fresh ideas to jot down.
                            Brian T

Comment

At the moment an hour or two a day. I often carve while watching television.

Comment

Working...
                              X