Friendship Block Exchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Friendship Block Exchange

Those canes are really neat! Wish I could participate. Maybe when I learn to carve a little better and faster!
    Hazel Strickland
    AKA Dixie Whittler

Comment

Here is what I posted under Cane Carving and Caricature Carving Groups also:

We are putting together a Friendship Block Exchange that will run through September 1st. The idea is for each participating carver to carver a set number of blocks and exchange them with an equal number of carvers. The deadline for entry is May 1st, so that I can get everyone's exchange lists completed and sent out. The exchange is much like the Christmas Ornament Exchange, there is no skill level required to participate.

We are shooting for 8 to 10 carvings per carver. That means that you would carve 8 to 10 (depending on number of carvers) blocks that are between 1 1/2" square to 2" square and 3" tall. You can carve the same block for each or mix them up, it is totally up to you. 10 blocks at 3" each will make the final Friendship Cane approximately 30".

Each carver will drill a 3/8" hole from top to bottom of their carving so that when each of us receive our carvings, we can thread them on a 3/8" dowel rod for display, in the form of a Friendship Cane.

If you are interested in participating, please send me a PM with your full name, mailing address and email if available. I will then put you on the master list. After May 1st, I will divide up the master list into groups of 8 to 10 carvers and then give everyone their lists. You will send our completed carvings to the people on your list.

Quick recap:
      Entry deadline: May 1st
      Ship our carvings by: September 1st
      Blocks are to start out at 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" X 3" up to 2" X 2" X 3" with a 3/8" hole drilled from top to bottom for display.

Comment

We have 4 participants so far.

Comment

That won't make much of a cane! Ya need 10-12 more at least!
          Hazel Strickland
          AKA Dixie Whittler

Comment

I thought a squirrel would be a good first block. I need to know if this is ok. The top is not a solid piece, but the tail and ears are solid and level so they hold the top block flat and firm. He isn't finished yet, and I know we don't have enough participants yet, but I need to know if this style will work before I make more. All of my contributions will be different.

Comment

Debbie...That is awesome. I really, really like the squirrel. It would be perfect for the exchange. If we don't get anymore interest, I think we should go ahead and do the exchange and maybe do two each to make up our 8 to 10 blocks.

Adam

Comment

I'm glad to know that you like him and that he will work. I think it would be nice to have enough carvers, but I don't mind if we don't . I was planning on making several different blocks anyway.

Comment

Adam good idea....will think of second design!

Comment

Hopefully we will get enough for the exchange but if not doing two each will work.

Comment

Matt Kelly has a great friendship cane thing going on...has been for a long time...
                      "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

That's so cute, Deb! Hmmm I could, maybe, carve 10 acorns?
                        Hazel Strickland
                        AKA Dixie Whittler

Comment

We now have 5 carvers participating and I am working on at least one more as we speak.

Adam

Comment

hstrick, I think that 10 acorns would be just fine. There isn't any rule that says the carving has to be complex!

Comment

hstrick, I I agree with Debbie.

Comment

That's ok, then. I ain't kidding myself. I know I'm not up to "complex". Yet.
                                Hazel Strickland
                                AKA Dixie Whittler

Comment

Working...
                                X