Purchasing Wood (review)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Purchasing Wood (review)

Johnny T....they produce and sell roughouts, but only to the creator of the original pattern. They are where the sellers of roughouts like many of the artists in the CCA and other carvers that teach classes have their stock made.

Comment

ok so let's say I wanted just blanks. no design. just a block of wood roughed with a spoon shape. No design. that's what I'm trying to get across but i don't think i'm explaining it well.

he talked about the spindles they use but those are duplicators. it wouldn't make a lot of sense to me to make actual duplicates would it? i just want blocks that are roughed to i don't have to spend so much time taking down all that wood i don't need.

Comment

I've never been disappointed with Heinecke.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyT View Post
          ok so let's say I wanted just blanks. no design. just a block of wood roughed with a spoon shape. No design. that's what I'm trying to get across but i don't think i'm explaining it well.

he talked about the spindles they use but those are duplicators. it wouldn't make a lot of sense to me to make actual duplicates would it? i just want blocks that are roughed to i don't have to spend so much time taking down all that wood i don't need.
          This is the way it works: You make the original roughout and send it to them. They duplicate the roughout you made, so now you have multiple copies of your original roughout to sell or do whatever you want with them. That's why they say they don't sell roughouts: they just make duplicates of your roughout.

Make sense now?
          Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post
            This is the way it works: You make the original roughout and send it to them. They duplicate the roughout you made, so now you have multiple copies of your original roughout to sell or do whatever you want with them. That's why they say they don't sell roughouts: they just make duplicates of your roughout.

Make sense now?
            What Arthur is saying is that you can bandsaw out a spoon blank or roughly carve a spoon and send it to Heinecke and they can mass produce the item for you as a roughout, in multiples of 8 (because they have an 8 spindle duplicator). If you just want to buy spoon blanks or roughouts that someone else designed, them you have to buy those from that person or a company that resells that person's roughouts, not Heinecke. You can find spoon blanks and roughouts at Smokey Mountain Woodcarvers and Pinewood Forge among others.
            'If it wasn't for caffeine, I wouldn't have any personality at all!"

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-...61450667252958
            http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/

Comment

Robson, I agree! I have found that gifts of small carvings just to let people know that I am a carver does wonders. I have recieved a few return gifts of aspen, cedar, and pine and we have a lot of wood that is blown down by storms that everyone is very willing to give for the asking
              but what I am really looking for is something with pretty grain to it for a fish carved and left natural. Larry

Comment

Me? I sort of agreed to accept the wood as they wanted to clear it off their country property! I guess it eased their conscience to know that it all went to a good home instead of into the fireplace. Just the other day, the guy asked me if I wanted more.

But, you still have to ask around and don't stop. Nobody will advertise for you.
                Brian T

Comment

I've had, what the owners called junk wood, tossed into my front yard at night in the rain = just to get rid of it.....>>>>>>They throw it out of the trucks, over the gate into the driveway. This happens to me a lot....they call it junk wood here also....meaning often it can not be used for top of the line furniture. I get great wood a lot as the word is out I want it. If I want basswood I order only Heinecke Wood Products as they are great about the shipping to the islands and wood plus service is outstanding over the years.
                  . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Working...
                  X