Ready to scream!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready to scream!

I'm finally taking the plunge and trying my first lovespoon. Ironically, carving the spoon isn't what's causing the frustration - it's the darn scrollsaw! Since I'm carving gaps, I need to drill a hole and slip the blade in to cut it. It looks sooooo easy on youtube - untighten, slip blade out, slip back in, and tighten, right? Nope. Can't get it back in...or when it seems like I do, it's flimsy and flying all over the place.

Any secrets I should know of? I'd love to continue trying spoons, but my frustration level I through the roof.

Re: Ready to scream!

Jillsy there are a lot of different types of scroll saws out there, is yours power or hand held??

If hand held turn the handle more until the blade tightens up.

If electric on the far end on top there is a small handle the must be in the down position after you replace the blade.

Let us know what you have or even post an image of the tool.
    ~ Dwight
    "Hello, I am the Friggin' Happiness Fairy and I just sprinkled happy dust on you, so smile damit' this crap is expensive."

Comment

Thanks, it's a Craftsman. Simple model. Nothing special!

Comment

It sounds like either the tension is not right or the blade is not in the holder at the bottom.

IF YOUR BLADES HAVE PINS ON THE ENDS:

Install the blade by inserting one end of it through the access hole of throat plate in the table. Hook the lower blade pin in the pin recess in the lower blade holder and then
        the upper blade pin in the upper blade holder.

IF YOUR BLADES ARE PINLESS

Install the new blade through the access hole in the table with teeth pointing down.
        Insert the new blade into the lower blade holder slot, and then tighten the lower blade holder set screw. Insert the other end of the blade into the upper blade holder slot and then tighten the tension knob.

Apply slight downward pressure against the upper arm when installing the blade into the upper blade holder. Tighten the tension on the blade by turning the tension knob clockwise. If the tension is too tight, turn counterclockwise. If too loose, turn the lever clockwise. Do not make too tight or blade will easily break in use.

Let me know how you make out.
        ~ Dwight
        "Hello, I am the Friggin' Happiness Fairy and I just sprinkled happy dust on you, so smile damit' this crap is expensive."

Comment

I do not use the scroll saw for hollow areas on small items such as a love spoon. I use various micro drill bits and then chip out area via knives and micro chisels.... I cut the outside area with a bandsaw. For small things like lovespoons it is not easy to use a scroll saw....which is made for heavier wood pieces. You can get super strong sawing blades for the scroll saw but for me it is just not worth the time and effort.
          . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Jillsy, it sounds like you re forgetting the tension knob on rear of the top arm. Dwight has all the steps to follow.

Tom
            If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Thanks so much for all the advice! I'm going to take a deep breath and try both the scroll saw and Dremel ideas!

Comment

Did you get it to work jillsy????
                ~ Dwight

Comment

First of all, screaming is cathartic. Let it out, and stomp your feet some too. maybe throw something at the wall- you'll feel better.

I would add one step to Dwights comments on pinless blades- hold the blade in place in both the top and bottom clamps then tighten the bottom clamp. Once the bottom clamp is tight the top of the blade should be in the clamp already- if you have to bend the blade to get it into the top clamp you are asking for a blade break.
                  Buffalo Bif
                  www.bflobif.com

Comment

No, I haven't had time yet. I'm preparing to start a new job on Tuesday in the school system and the paperwork is mind-numbing! I'd rather try this again when my nerves aren't already in a twisted helix!

But again, thank all of you for the detailed advice. I can visualize what you're trying to tell me.

Comment

Jillsy: this is going to go like shaking hands with an octopus = one thing at a time.
                      Optimize your circumstances and you will be in a fit state to mess with the saw.
                      Brian T

Comment

A coping saw will work too. Just a little more work, but it will calm the nerves.

Comment

Plus one for the dremel, way easier and much less frustrating. It doesn't take long to clean out those spaces once you have a pilot hole or 2. Don't go beating your head on the walls. When I get that frustrated I walk away for a day.

Breathe deep, cross your legs palms up.. close your eyes.....and sing oooommmmmmmm

Comment

I decided to fix the scrollsaw (well, try to get the blade back on based on great instructions left here). Then I'm going to try making a lovespoon by hollowing out using the Dremel, which seems easier than constantly having to take apart the blade for each space I need hollowed. I also like the idea of a coping saw!

So appreciate everyone's advice and you're right - nerves aren't ready to fix the saw - I'm supposed to start a new job on Tuesday - nerves just a little on edge!

Comment

I've found that in situations like your that drinking helps. After a good martini the scroll saw is not such an issue. On a serious note, I had a low end scrollsaw once. The day I threw it away was one of my better ones. I found a used Hegner saw on line and never looked back. If you ever get the opportunity to try that brand of saw; give it a go. They are wonderful to work with. Way to expensive to buy new though.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X