X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian T
    replied
    Re: Help with Mallet

I'm always a little suspicious of tools kept in such pristine condition that they could never be used as intended for the carvings that they are expected to assist in producing.
    For the lightest of the tap-tap-taps, don't forget to hold the mallet head in your hand. I do that a lot with my 30oz.

Leave a comment:

• rocksncactus
    replied

Okay. Thanks. I was concerned that the wood needed a finish to protect it. But hey, it is a mallet and meant to hit things.

I was excited to find it. I have long been firmly convinced that someday I would find carving tools at a Goodwill. This is my first. Some fun!

Lizabeth

Leave a comment:

• EarlE
    replied

Don't worry about the finish. Just go to work and enjoy the look of the mallet after it gets a good work outl

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied

I make my big (3lb) mallets from pieces of buck-naked alder log.
    The current one sheds more chips in a strike on the froe than I make some entire evenings.
    Sand back or tidy up the handle so that you can be confident that each strike goes where you want it to go ( no fingers or thumbs!)
    Reads like the face is quite "bash-worthy." Leave it at that. Beat the hello out of it = use it up.

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied

It's a mallet. It's going to get beat up from striking gouges. No matter what finish you put on it, it'll still get beat up and "wonky". If it really bothers you, rub a little lemon oil (furniture polish) on it. Can't hurt it.

Claude

Leave a comment:

• rocksncactus
    started a topic Help with Mallet

Help with Mallet

I found a small mallet, approximately 6-8 ounces, at a local Goodwill store. It's in pretty good shape, just one area where the wood looks a little stressed from striking. But the finish is wonky on it, mostly gone. I'm not sure what the finish was. The neck where the handle joins the head has a bit of waxy finish on it. I recall seeing mallets somewhere that had a waxy coating on them.

I'd like some advice on what to do for this mallet to bring new life to it. Should I sand the old coating off and apply a new coating? If so, what should I use? Thanks in advance.

Lizabeth

Edited to add: The finish looks sort of like worn-off polyurethane. Does that make sense?
Working...
X