A question for the married folks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for the married folks

I\'m curious about something. Do any of you carve indoors while watching tv? My wife and I are tv fanatics. But, I also like to carve. So, I was wondering how many of you have understanding wives who don\'t mind you making a mess in the house. I have an apron that has a built in pocket in the front that I have fixed up so it stays open and catches most of my cuttings. But there are always strays that manage to find their way to the floor. So far, my wife hasn\'t complained because I always clean up after myself.

I just thought I\'d throw this out there for something else to chat about.

Ray

Re: A question for the married folks

I carve in the house I watch tv and carve too Husband gives me stink eye some times but usually he is just glad it is just wood chips and not glitter

Comment

Not married but...I carve in the basement where I have a TV/DVD player. So I can watch TV or carving DVDs while carving. The TV has an hdmi connection and I have a computer hooked up to watch online carving videos. I do sometimes track woodchips upstairs to the living room. No one complains though.
      Terry

Comment

I will carve in my recliner sometimes while watching TV. My wife does not seem to care...at least she does not say anything! I will usually carve down in the basement or , in the good weather, out on the patio. She is actually extremely supportive of my hobby.

I am retired and she is not. At least once a year I will go somewhere for a class. I live in western NY and I have been up in the Adirondacks, down to Lancaster, PA, Bettendorf and Maquoketa, IA and Brasstown, NC. She is fine with my trips.You would think that I would be a much better carver after all of those classes, but somehow I always seem to lose some knowledge on the ride home!
        I also will quite often go for a weekend thing like down to Dayton, OH. She will sometimes come with me to those and she will go with me to visit just about any show that I may find and think I want to see. Sometimes I might just announce on a Friday or Saturday night that I found out about a show somewhere that I would like to go to the next morning. It might be 3 or 4 hours away, but she goes right along with me!

We have been married over 35 years so I guess that she figures she has too much invested in me to dump me now, so she just accepts it! I guess that I will keep her around!
        I have been known to tell her that as messed up as I might be, at least I did not marry me!
        Honestly, she is the best thing that ever happened to me!

Comment

Jimp., I envy you all those shows in your area. I live in So Cal and there doesn\'t seem to be anything going on around here. Unless they are happening and I don\'t know about them.

I have been married for 46 years and counting so I\'m in the same boat as you. My wife is the best. But, she is a clean freak. The house is always spotless. That\'s why I must clean up my mess. I\'m not complaining though. I have been in some homes that a dog wouldn\'t be caught dead inside. I guess you and I are just very lucky guys.

Ray

Comment

Ray,
            Yep we are!
            Actually, now that I am retired, I try to keep up on the housework and laundry. It may not be like she used to keep it, but I feel like I am earning my keep.
            I was a UPS man and before that, I delivered meat to private homes. You are very correct on the point about the dog. There were places that I walked out of and wiped my feet before I got back in my truck!
            Jim

Comment

I will once in a while carve in the recliner, but as someone said here, I get the stick eye. I have a large towel on my lap but it does not catch everything, so I end up the the cordless vac cleaning around the chair, bat as someone else also said Pam I a great housewife and the house is always spotless, so needless to say after I get through she put the finishing touch to the living room.. We have got a kind of unspoken word I do not fool with her part of the house and she does not come in to my office/studio to clean or straighten . . .JoeB
              . . .JoeB

Comment

Diana and I met in March, started dating in April, courted in May and married in June. That will be 49 years ago in March. As we moved from assignment to assignment, I took over the garage far my woodcarving.

We retired and I bought a shell building and refurbished it for woodcarving (a/c, heat and electric), and set it up about 30 feet from the house. The 15x30 foot building offered all I needed for my hobby and I spent a lot of time there.

About 4 years ago we had a very icy winter and the shop is uphill from the house. I managed to do some carving in the house. That summer Diana said, I really miss having you around. Woodchips follow you down here anyhow. Why don\\\\\\\'t you take over a corner of the living room for your woodcarving?

We now have a large storage building for storing woodcarving related books, tools, unfinished carvings, plus a lot of our other stuff. She did gain a vacuumer in the process. I track woodcarvings throughout the living room. Every few days, and when company is expected, I vacuum up the woodchips and the rest of the house!
                My wife vs husband woodcarving problem is that Diana wants to keep every one of my carvings!! Even the commissioned ones.
                Attached Files

Comment

You, sir, certainly are in the ranks of the lucky ones!
                  What a nice situation.

Jim

Comment

My Wife Appreciates my Carvings and believes that their is a Place for everything and Carving isn\'t the place the Living Room. Been Married 63 Yrs. and has me believing that I don\'t want to Carve in the Living Room. Ha,Ha. We were High School Sweethearts and wasn\'t supposed to last, so I\'m giving her another 60 yrs. and if she doesn\'t change she is History, then I can Carve in the Living Room.
                    She really is a Sweetheart for putting up with me. Merle

Comment

... from Phil\'s wife, Mimi - I very much like it when Phil carves in the house. We have dogs with loose hair and wooden floors; the wood chips gather up the dog hair nicely when I dustmop/vacuum. He carves at our dining room table and my only problem is trying to keep him from refinishing the table ; it is a great work table used for many projects. A lovely table cloth covers the many scars and gouges when we entertain. If he refinishes it we, will have to \"be careful\" with it - don\'t want that. Mimi, the wife. ;- ))

Comment

I carve in my recliner. Then I clean. But our whole house is full of projects. I can not imagine having a house that was not also a shop and yes, it is clean too.

Comment

Paul I see you got one of those killer dogs like we have, they are a re hoot. . . .JoeB
                          . . .JoeB

Comment

I carve in the house during the winter. I have taken over the spare bedroom from my moved on daughter #2. So what if it is pink, it is warm, lit, and close to every one. Non cable but it does have a TV and DVD player for carving videos. good sound system. No power carving during winter though. As far as the double recliner, it is the golden retrievers resting spot. Life is good.
                            Carve On,
                            Kadiddle

Comment

Do any of you folk who carve inside carve in a room with carpet?
                              That would seem to be a terrible prospect for cleaning up the chips.

Comment

Working...
                              X