Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air filter

Hi all,

I have a quick question, i am wondering when staining what you guys use to get rid of the smell. My wife gets angry at me when im staining something in the garage, cause she can smell it in the house. If you have any suggestions i would appreciate it. I cant open the garage doors while working down there cause the temperature is too cold, my little space heater doesnt work all that well. Is there some kind of air filtration system you use to help rid the smell?

Thanks!

Re: Air filter

T-ram, I have a vacuum cleaner in the basement with the exhaust hose going out of a window. I can get rid of most of the fumes that way. Should work in the garage as well.............Tom
    If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

You need some kind of fan system to pull the fumes out. It can be a box fan in a widow. I have a bathroom fan in the wall of my small shop. I do my finishing next to it .and let the fan run for a hour or so when I am done.

Comment

As with the other replies, my workshop is in the basement, and I installed a kitchen exhaust fan in the wall. I turn this on while finishing, and leave it on for a couple of hours afterward.

Comment

It would be a lot easier to fix your wife. Mike
          Matthew

Comment

Switch to water-based stains?

Comment

Originally posted by mdallensr View Post
              It would be a lot easier to fix your wife. Mike
              I like your idea Mike!
              Read more: chicago personal injury,
              chicago attorney,
              ... Chicago Illinois law firm specializing in workers compensation
              and personal injury cases and Chicago Workers Compensation Attorney.

Comment

Now Mike, there\'s a sure fire way to incur an injury! I\'d want to be sure I really thought that through before undertaking such an endeavor!! :-)

Tinwood

Comment

I have switched to leather dyes, less odor. I use the alcohol based leather dyes by Fiebings. A trick I learned from the pipemakers.

As to the finishes, no real help here, the best I have found are Daly\'s SeaFin Teak Oil. Not great, but better smelling than most.

Comment

Working...
                  X