Green and waxed black walnut and I have questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Green and waxed black walnut and I have questions

I believe that the perception of the hardness of wood is directly related to the tools being used and the manner the carver is used to applying them.

Black walnut, along with oak and a number of other woods are much more difficult to carve using tools other than those driven by power or mallet. These woods also require very sharp knives and very shallow cuts. Can they be carved with these other tools? I don\'t know? I carve a lot of black walnut; but, only with power and mallet. Even with these tools I make sure to strop my tools every few minutes.

I recommend black walnut to all carvers. But I would not give up bass and tupelo for the majority of my carving. Power and mallet are not the most pleasant way of carving for me. Find your way to carving it. It is a beautiful wood and the results are well worth the effort.

Comment

Thank you all for the advice, tips, pictures! I\'m going for it but probably do some stylized carvings. Maybe bird, fish and etc.
      You guys are awesome. I know that I can always come to WCI and get awesome advice and help!

Patty

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
        Paty,
        I will past along my experience with black walnut. I hope more more informed carver will come to your assistance.

My son-in-law sent me some BW that he had gotten from his brother ranch in east Texas. It was from a old tree that had been stuck by lighting the summer before. he cut the tree down to make lubber from it and Tim gathered me up some scape..

It was hard than the hubs of hell. I used every type of carving tools I had on the two pieces I did.. It was workable , but I work for it, basically taking what it would give me ., It seemed funny to me me while OI was carving, along with chip and got little pieces that reminded me of grape nu???.

I have included a photo, not a very good one. But try it, it is alway good to have another experience.
        . . .JoeB
        Thank you for sharing your experience!

Comment

Originally posted by sappy View Post
          I have two black walnut trees in my yard. I have tried to carve it a couple times and gave up. The wood is beautiful and I have seen lovely things made from it so, it can be done. I would say, you have the wood, give it a try. If you are sanding it or power carving it though, be sure to wear a dust mask.
          Thanks for the dust mask tip

Comment

If the walnut is still green, it should be easy to rough out a spoon. Let the spoon dry and put the finishing touches on in a week or so. Walnut is one of my favorite for ladles.

Comment

Originally posted by bowinhand View Post
              If the walnut is still green, it should be easy to rough out a spoon. Let the spoon dry and put the finishing touches on in a week or so. Walnut is one of my favorite for ladles.
              My friend said it was cut green then waxed. Does that mean it\'s still green?

Comment

The wax was applied to slow the release of moisture from the wood to lessen the chance of cracking and warping, but it doesn\'t completely stop the drying process. Scrape off the wax in a small area and try shaving the wood with you tools. If it works well, continue with your project. If not, put it aside for future consideration. Remember, ALL wood is variable.

Comment

Pallin is right it could be dry if it has been cut awhile ago. You can rehydrate the wood if it is too hard to carve with water and alcohol. I just stick it in a bucket of water till I can carve it easily.

Comment

Thank you guys for all your tips and advice! My friend is shipping it to me. Will update when the wood gets here.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Wiebe View Post
                      I think that some black walnut must be harder than other pieces, because I have carved quite a bit of it and while it is certainly harder than bass or white pine, I don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t find it ridiculously difficult. I actually find it to be a pleasant wood to work with gouges and mallet.

Others, several on this thread find it fantastically hard. Maybe some of it is really hard and I just haven\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t run into that kind yet.
                      Rick, this has been exactly my experience. I haven\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t carved that much walnut but it was nice to carve. I didn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t change my bevels. I use a shallow bevel with a bevel on the inside of the gouge as well.

Here is something I aspire to do in Walnut
                      http://www.aalmarkllc.com/furniture-...rved-headboard
                      Last edited by fiddlesticks; 05-05-2016, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X