Affordable hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affordable hobby

This doesn\\\'t happen too often up here, but it got just too warm to do anything outside this afternoon, so I retreated to the basement and carved of all things a Santa ornament. ( it\\\'s less than 6 months away ....LOL )
    As I was carving I got to thinking; even though most of us have hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of carving knives, gouges etc. it doesn\\\'t have to be that way. I carved this one entirely with a Stanley utility knife (#299 ) . The knife was given to me and the blades cost around .50 cents each, paint comes from the local Dollar Store . I have got a couple of hundred dollars tied up in my Razor-Tip burner and the Sand-O-Flex, but still in all this can be a very affordable hobby as compared to a lot of others.
    Attached Files
    If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Re: Affordable hobby

Hi Soggy, I agree with you on #299, got one but sure don\'t work like yours. I keep using it though because it is a Good Tool. You could probably do that little Guy using your Fingernail. Ha,Ha. Good job on that little Guy. Merle

Comment

Like your Santa, good tutorial. Talking about the Stanley Utility Knife (#299), I too have added it to my collection and is a daily user, when carving. But I been also using the smaller Stanley knife (I don\'t know the number) but it is the 3/8 in break-off blade, retractable . It can not be used for real heavy carving, but comes in handy for finishing up. The blade will snap at the scored points so a little care is needed.

I could find the #299 when I decided to try the utility knife, but found a Lenox-gold utility knife. It fits my hand well so I am pleased.
      . . .JoeB
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Over the years I have gathered a number of tools as I got in to doing larger carvings. But I started with a $10.00 Xacto carving kit. Added the Stanley box cutter and those were my only tools for years. You can carve many thing with just a few tools. It is a very affordable hobby.
        Like your Santa also.

Comment

Ahh...using Lynn Doughty\'s knife of choice! Great job on that Santa ornament, Soggy! A very clean carving! What is that liquid in the plastic container? Is that what you use for antiquing? I like your finish!
          Keep On Carvin'
          Bob K.

My Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/rwkwoodcarving

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

I agree, it can be a very affordable hobby. Compared to our other hobbies, it is quite cheap! But like with most hobbies, if you really are enjoying it, then the add-ons just become part of the fun and expectation. And, while the numbers might start really adding up, divide that by the time it took to do that. Then pat yourself on the back and buy another knife. My favorite part the hobby is the portability.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob K. View Post
              Ahh...using Lynn Doughty\\\'s knife of choice! Great job on that Santa ornament, Soggy! A very clean carving! What is that liquid in the plastic container? Is that what you use for antiquing? I like your finish!
              The knife might be Lynn\'s choice, but he was never a fan of the solution in the container........lol. That\'s a solution of BLO and mineral spirits with a dash of burnt umber. If I recall, Lynn doesn\'t think too highly of boiled linseed oil .......

Comment

Soggy, You fail to mention how heavy our tool boxes become after collecting all of these tools. It would be a lot easier with just a knife.

But not near as much fun.

Tom
                If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Ellis View Post
                  Soggy, You fail to mention how heavy our tool boxes become after collecting all of these tools. It would be a lot easier with just a knife.

But not near as much fun.

Tom
                  I agree Tom, but with just a knife a fellow doesn\'t have to hide so many \"new\" tools from the wife.........

Comment

If you haven\'t seen Lynn\'s video about modifying old reliable, you should. I did and it works great to have the extra length of blade to carve with. Just my 2cents.

Rob

Comment

I saw a tee shirt that said. My wife makes me spend all of our money on Buck Knives..

Seemed appropriate for any brand to me.

Tom
                      If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

I got along for years with just a pocketknife and a few gouges. Then I caught the Tool Fetish Disease and acquired several dozen expensive tools. I still use only a few on any given project.

Comment

Really nice job on that Santa Soggy. Seems Mr. Doughty\'s influence has spread far and wide indeed.

Tinwood

Comment

I recommend to any one who ask me about getting started in carving to look at Lynn\'s videos. Stating in the older ones and working forward. They show better than any videos I know off how to do good work with simple tools.

Comment

I agree about Lynn - he is a very good teacher and explains things extremely well and covers a great latitude in caricature carving. And \"Old Reliable\" is used through out proving you don\'t need a lot of expensive tools to carve. IMHO

Comment

Working...
                              X