walking stick blanks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• walking stick blanks

looking for good sticks. aspen / diamond willow/ etc. no need for large diameter and extra long. just good quality, priced well and shipped reasonable. any ideas ??

Re: walking stick blanks

Don, I realize there are good folks who sell some fine walking stic material, but heck, if you live in the midwest, just take a walk in the woods and you should be able to get all the material you need.

Private property is usually off limits, but check with some landowners and they will most likely let you cut a few sticks. Just let them know you are not a logging operation!

State and local highway right-of-ways are pretty much open for that type of scarfing. Check with the folks who maintain snowmobile and hiking trails....they actually NEED volunteers to cut out new growth. And there is a lot of diamond willow and aspen along these routes. You get your carving material AND you are doing a public service at the same time! Local park departments often clear areas of small saplings.

Then I think Mr. Yooper from this site will sell you some...at least he used to. Google "diamond willow" and there will be several suppliers show up.

Al

Comment

I buy mine at my local Woodcraft store. The one here sells both Aspen and Diamond Willow. Maybe on their website too www.woodcraft.com

Comment

Gene Bremmer on this site sells diamond willow.

Comment

Smokey Mountain and Mountain Woodcarvers both have blanks for sale I believe.

Comment

I have bought a basswood and aspen stick from Treeline (treelineusa.com) and have had very good success purchasing from them now and in the past.

The sell diamond willow, as well as sassafras and more.

The basswood stick is turned and came with a leather strap (thin) and rubber boot for about $15.
            The aspen was about $13 was not turned and no foot.
            They're decent sticks tho'. Not sure if the price is great, but seems reasonable to me.

They also sell accessories.
            Hope this helps.

Comment

Don, I'm with Archie,go for a hike and find the right stick with character.If your not a hiker then online woodcarving supplies is your best bet.

Comment

Hay, Woodwacker

I just got around 75 pieces about 60" long from about 1.5" to 2" at the top an , about 3/4" to 1" at the bottom . All kinds of wood , must have vines around them ,but can get plan ones to . Never sold them so done know what there even worth do you or ? what would you give for them an the shipping ? Late me know something I'm sore we can work out something that's fair .

THANKS BOB

Comment

Originally posted by HadACall55
                  Hay, Woodwacker

I just got around 75 pieces about 60" long from about 1.5" to 2" at the top an , about 3/4" to 1" at the bottom . All kinds of wood , must have vines around them ,but can get plan ones to . Never sold them so done know what there even worth do you or ? what would you give for them an the shipping ? Late me know something I'm sore we can work out something that's fair .

THANKS BOB
                  sounds great. 3.00 to 5.00 each is pritty good rate. shipping by ups is also good. would like to try a couple. 1 1/2" to 2" at top and 60" in leingth. typr of material?. let me know if interested.

Comment

Diamond Willow is a little north of me, but I sell Manzanita, Poplar, Ponderosa, Oak, Apple, Birch, Aromatic Cedar, Cottonwood, Elm, Eucalyptus, & Willow for pretty reasonable rates. I'll have a site with pictures up soon. Let ya know

Comment

Hey Everyone, wanted to let you know, I have a large
                      variety sticks.4.00 each, or 2.00 each if you take 5 or more.

Comment

very interested. need more details. i would like 25 plus.

Comment

Hi,I have serval different species,sumac,oak,ceder,poplar
                          wild cherry,cottonwood elm,sass, sourwood etc.These I cut
                          green when i get an order.I look for what sumac is interested in.
                          Twisted,striated what ever lenths than i.ll take pictures of
                          what i have to send to you all sticks are 4.00 each 5 or more
                          2.00 each.
                          Thank you, Jace

Comment

You may get a shock when you price the shipping on walking sticks. UPS has a huge up charge on extra length. I shipped two carved sticks from the Kansas City area to Shepardsville KY and my bill was over $24.00. I almost fainted, but I had already told the customer I would pay the shipping so I was stuck. it's been several years since I shipped sticks by UPS, so I was really shocked when I was told the price. I could have shipped several for almost the same price so maybe if you ship several it would average out ok

Stikman

Comment

Hi Stikman,your,re right about the shipping,thats why I
                              cut my prices alot from the beginning.So the buyers
                              can afford the sticks an shipping.Alot of my burl wood
                              I now sale pickup only, making people a good group sale.
                              Always trying to help work it out to better both parties.
                              Jace

Comment

Working...
                              X