Feedback sought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback sought

A few days ago I posted what I call "old school" carvings. Today, I have a side-by-side comparison. Please share your thoughts.
    Thanks, Steve
    Attached Files
    Steve Reed - Carvin' in the flatlands!

I like both, Steve! They're different styles, but I think both are well done.

Claude
    My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
    My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
    My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
    My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

First off, darn it you're good. I personally like both styles equally. I really appreciably the patterns you create for texture. The fur( hair) texture is amazing , even the expressions are great. Great work Stephen.

Comment

Hi Steve
        I am with Claude and Sw on this, I think they are both great, well done
        Bruce

Comment

They both look good Steve, I think the hair is a little more refined on the right one.. Great looking beard...............Tom
          If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

I guess it would be up to the carver to make a choice. They are both fine carvings
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Both are good carvings. I like the hat on the natural one, but I like the detail on the painted one. More varied texture on the beard on the painted one. Good examples of both styles of eyes but I'm partial to the painted ones.
              Donna_T
              From Missouri

Comment

That's a tough decision to have to make Steve; I'm more inclined to lean towards the painted one but they are both great. I guess that's why there are so many different styles out there......everyone has a different way of looking at something
                Wayne
                If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Both are great carvings. Painted one has the beard jagged on the edges, which to me looks more realistic. This one also shows more tool marks, giving me more of the old school feeling. The one with the natural finish is clean but lacks the rustic kind of look. Cuts are crisp and very clean. To each, both are 10s.
                  Carve On,
                  Kadiddle

Comment

Steve both are well carved pieces and I would not offer major changes in either of them. As to which might be preferred, it is my belief that this is absolutely individual taste and has little to do with painted vs natural or realistic beard vs. simple carved beard.

Comment

Rustic, thanks Kaddidle that's the word I was searching for. The two carvings are both so well done that, really, it's up to the individual's personal preferences in the end. If you are more into the rustic type of decorations for your home at Christmas then you'd want to, perhaps, go with the painted fellow but looking at the two from my perspective, I like the finely detailed features of the second fellow. In any regard, I'd take either in a heartbeat. Usually I tend to lean toward the old school style but you could warp my beliefs very quickly. Great work Steve.

Tinwood

Comment

I like them both. Like others said, personnal tast makes people chose painted or not. Very well carved!

Jos
                        Jos
                        Belgium

Comment

Both are very well done. I prefer the painted one, but not because it's painted; but because some of its features are not as smoothed and refined. Both are really fine examples of a Santa ornament.
                          http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks folks. I've been doing painted carvings for a long time, and thought I'd change things up a bit. A few years ago I made several Santas that had painted eyes, but everything else was natural. Thanks for your input, it really is appreciated!
                            Steve Reed - Carvin' in the flatlands!

Comment

Both are really super carvings and I like both finishes. I don't think you would have trouble selling either carving. I guess a good test is to offer a little pile of each style and see which ones disappear first.
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X