Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob K.
    replied
    Both are extremely well done, Steve, but I'm a little partial to the painted one. Santa is a festive figure who should look bright and colorful. The unpainted one is sort of bland for a Santa, but that's just me.

Leave a comment:

• Hooked on Carving
    replied
    I like the painted one! The eyes are kind loving and have a glitter to them. The natural one makes me feel like I made the naughty list, the eyes look a little stern.

Leave a comment:

• Joyce2011
    replied
    I too like both of them, but do have a preference for the painted one. Not because it's painted, but the eyes look happier. The natural finished one has more somber eyes. Just my 2 cents.

Leave a comment:

• Randy
    replied
    Both nice carvings. I like the fuller cheeks on the painted Santa.

Leave a comment:

• makenchips
    replied
    Not much more I can add that has not already been said. Both are wonderful in their own regard but to alleviate your predicament you can send them both to me. LOL

Leave a comment:

• uvawyo
    replied
    I like Nomad's idea. I like both carvings but i think i prefer the painted one.

Leave a comment:

• Wdcarver55
    replied
    I like both, they have appeal to those who like natural finish and also those who like painted ornimates.

Leave a comment:

• Nomad
    replied
    Both are really super carvings and I like both finishes. I don't think you would have trouble selling either carving. I guess a good test is to offer a little pile of each style and see which ones disappear first.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Reed
    replied
    Thanks folks. I've been doing painted carvings for a long time, and thought I'd change things up a bit. A few years ago I made several Santas that had painted eyes, but everything else was natural. Thanks for your input, it really is appreciated!

Leave a comment:

• Tom-H
    replied
    Both are very well done. I prefer the painted one, but not because it's painted; but because some of its features are not as smoothed and refined. Both are really fine examples of a Santa ornament.

Leave a comment:

• jderijcke
    replied
    I like them both. Like others said, personnal tast makes people chose painted or not. Very well carved!

Jos

Leave a comment:

• Tinwood
    replied
    Rustic, thanks Kaddidle that's the word I was searching for. The two carvings are both so well done that, really, it's up to the individual's personal preferences in the end. If you are more into the rustic type of decorations for your home at Christmas then you'd want to, perhaps, go with the painted fellow but looking at the two from my perspective, I like the finely detailed features of the second fellow. In any regard, I'd take either in a heartbeat. Usually I tend to lean toward the old school style but you could warp my beliefs very quickly. Great work Steve.

Tinwood

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied
    Steve both are well carved pieces and I would not offer major changes in either of them. As to which might be preferred, it is my belief that this is absolutely individual taste and has little to do with painted vs natural or realistic beard vs. simple carved beard.

Leave a comment:

• Kadiddle
    replied
    Both are great carvings. Painted one has the beard jagged on the edges, which to me looks more realistic. This one also shows more tool marks, giving me more of the old school feeling. The one with the natural finish is clean but lacks the rustic kind of look. Cuts are crisp and very clean. To each, both are 10s.
    Carve On,
    Kadiddle

Leave a comment:

• Soggy
    replied
    That's a tough decision to have to make Steve; I'm more inclined to lean towards the painted one but they are both great. I guess that's why there are so many different styles out there......everyone has a different way of looking at something
    Wayne

Leave a comment:

Working...
X