Ornament Exchange 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve Reed View Post
    Hi folks! If you've been wondering, no I didn't fall off the earth, we had a flood in our basement 2 days before my shoulder surgery. BUMMER! However, rehab is going well, so be thinking about the ornament exchange. We have some folks that missed out last year and want to get in on it. To review: PM me your real name and address if you want to participate. You will provide a number of carvings for the exchange, based on the number of participants. Last year I think we had 8, would love to have more this year. I'll send out a list to each participant, with the names and addresses for you to send your ornaments. Make them all the same, or make different ones, it's up to you! I can start collecting names anytime, but plan on no later than 1 October. This should provide plenty of time to make the chips fly. If not, let me know. I realize it's a little early, but last year we got started late. Have a great summer!
    Oh goodness. I’m sorry your basement flooded this year. That’s no fun at all.
    I hope you got everything sorted out.

Getting excited about these ornaments

Comment

Thanks Nikki, got it all worked out. Insurance took care of all the damage, and now I have a new basement!
      Steve
      Steve Reed - Carvin' in the flatlands!

My fb page: https://www.facebook.com/stephen.ree...8.100000156660 683&type=3

Comment

Originally posted by lionslair View Post
        UGH - been on three week long trips in the month and a half - going crazy. Got two done. Have the third planned - I decided to work on two at a time so as one is in thought process, the other might be in rough out. Paint wet and not painted yet. Ping back and forth on the painting. But we got back from 50 years since Graduation of "College" - TAMU-C.
        yea - up to numbers 6 & 7 now. into the swing again. So many items on my current list making me tired just thinking. That is Texas A&M University and Texas A&M University Commerce. I'm a super tech type. Trying to slow down and enjoy life but life is busy.

Comment

Relax, they don't need to go in the mail for a while! Enjoy life, the season and football (my wife is an aggie). Me, I'm a Gator guy!
          Steve

Comment

Completed unrelated to this, does anyone know where I could get 1x1x1 basswood blocks?
            Last edited by Isaac10991; 11-12-2018, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac10991 View Post
              Completed unrelated to this, does anyone know where I could get 1x1x1 basswood blocks?
              You can get blocks at Michaels or Hobby Lobby, but the basswood is hit or miss quality-wise. If you have a club near you, check with them for other sources.
              Steve

Comment

I say having a firm, complete plan is about a quarter of the process for me, from drawing to prototype, to first whittling.

In that case, 90% of them are 25% done
                75% are 30% done
                25% are 90% done
                0% are 100% done

Carve Diem.

Comment

Bif,, whatever works. For me it depends on what I'm doing. If I'm making an entire set of something, I use the same approach as you. if, on the other hand, I have a general idea of what I'm doing, I just grab the wood and go. Excited to see what everyone comes up with!
                  Steve

Comment

I'm about 80 percent done. Need to do about half with second coat of paint and then all with detail. And then poly them all and I'll be done. Oh and then it's the other 10 or so for family, wife, etc. that I need to finish. Slow but sure...

Bob L

Comment

Thank you Adam! I wasn't expecting to see the familiar envelope this quick. Yours is the first ornament of the season and will look very nice on my "Carver's Tree".
                      Rusty

Comment

Adam has trouble with directions....LOL. I got mine from him as well.
                        Steve

Comment

Thank you Adam! Quite a surprise. Well, back to working on my ornaments.

Bob L

Comment

All mine have shipped. They say 3 days on the ticker-tape. So middle of next week some time. Likely Thursday and Friday for those lucky in the 'sticks' and 'wilderness'. Mine are a bit different this year. Some 2D 2 1/2D and some 3D. I say relief carving is 2.5D not quite the classical 3D. Carving a 'donut' ring is considered 4D or has 4 dimensions! Sneaking stuff this math. Martin

Comment

Mine might be a bit late this year. Srry about this just wanted to give y'all a heads up

Comment

Isaac, they weren't supposed to be mailed until 1 Dec, you have time. I guess some people can't follow directions...…..
                                Steve
                                Last edited by Steve Reed; 11-25-2018, 10:21 PM. Reason: Correction

Comment

Working...
                                X