X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Reed
    started a topic Ornament Exchange 2018

Ornament Exchange 2018

Yes, you read that right, LOL! I have been asked about the ornament exchange for this coming Christmas.. After conferring with our past fearless leader, I'll be ramrodding the exchange again, this year. Evidently there were some who missed out last year, and want in on the fun! So, put your thinking caps on and figure out what you might like to carve for the Great 2018 Ornament Exchange! If you participated in the past, you know how much fun it is to see what's in the mail box!
    Ok, ok, I know it's ridiculously early, but if you're interested...... I'll be compiling the list later this year, but if you want to go ahead and send me a PM here with your info, that would be fine. Last year we had 9 participants, let's try to get more this year. You can also let me know how many you would be willing to carve.
    Have fun folks!!
    Last edited by Claude; 03-05-2018, 08:41 PM.

• Spiritwolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by Soggy View Post

Last year I mailed a couple of my santa ornaments to friends and relatives here in Canada. I carve my ornaments on the corner and put them in bubble pack envelopes. When I mailed them the lady at the post office measured them by trying to pass them through a pre measured slot in a piece of plexi glass. If they didn't pass through, then they had to go by the small parcel rate........ $ 10.00 plus...... I suppose I could of designed a different ornament ( something 3/8" thick and carved it in relief) and that would probably pass for the lower rate,....... but I like to carve what I like to carve....
    on the evening news just the other night they said first class postage ( ie regular letter or card size) will be going up to $ 1.05 in the new year...... guess this old fart will have to start sending more emails and less regular mails.....lol
    BAH HUMBUG!!!
    Wayne
    That’s exactly right. I think it’s 3 cm thick and most of the ornaments I carve are that thickness. The only one that wasn’t was a rocking dog. One person sent me an ornament and it cost them $28 US which is about $40 US. That’s a lot of money.

Anyway here are the two ornaments I received which I really like.

Leave a comment:

• lionslair
    replied
    Another thing, ship in a small padded. If you chose a 8x10 or larger - pay more due to size. I had one I just paid up on since it came back to me with a wrong address - my bad. Sometimes the pain is justified. office is changing rates and the government is changing international standards. Going to take some time to shake it all out. Such is life.

Leave a comment:

• Soggy
    replied
    Originally posted by Spiritwolfe View Post

Not necessarily. Both of mine cost less than $5. That’s less than $2.50 a package which isn’t too bad.
    It depends how you package and ship them.
    I always pack small and ship via envelope shipping.
    I couldn’t believe some members paid about $40 Canadian to ship out an ornie. If it cost that much I wouldn’t be able to participate.
    Last year I mailed a couple of my santa ornaments to friends and relatives here in Canada. I carve my ornaments on the corner and put them in bubble pack envelopes. When I mailed them the lady at the post office measured them by trying to pass them through a pre measured slot in a piece of plexi glass. If they didn't pass through, then they had to go by the small parcel rate........ $ 10.00 plus...... I suppose I could of designed a different ornament ( something 3/8" thick and carved it in relief) and that would probably pass for the lower rate,....... but I like to carve what I like to carve....
    on the evening news just the other night they said first class postage ( ie regular letter or card size) will be going up to $ 1.05 in the new year...... guess this old fart will have to start sending more emails and less regular mails.....lol
    BAH HUMBUG!!!
    Wayne
    Last edited by Soggy; 12-27-2018, 06:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    My wife came home & said you know how much it cost to ship to CA, I said no, I know now Whew, wonder what is going on?

Leave a comment:

• Spiritwolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by Soggy View Post
    Nice looking tree, ornaments, and couple. I would have loved to participated in the exchange this year, but the cost of shipping ornaments from Canada is prohibitive ( in excess of $ 10.00 per ornament), so I'll just have to enjoy everyone else's ornaments.
    Wayne

Not necessarily. Both of mine cost less than $5. That’s less than $2.50 a package which isn’t too bad.
    It depends how you package and ship them.
    I always pack small and ship via envelope shipping.
    I couldn’t believe some members paid about $40 Canadian to ship out an ornie. If it cost that much I wouldn’t be able to participate.

Leave a comment:

• lionslair
    replied
    Here are some on my tree in the library. The tree was populated with a great many and then this years added front and top center. I provided a full frontal so some of yours are here and there. I can't believe how many I did last year! Look at the deer on the table top - yea deer to match the sleigh I made in the err.... '70's. I put 'snow' pads under their feet to make them stable. The two tall cases behind are Sea Shells from 2500 NMi South West of Hawaii. Just a tip of an iceberg. I depopulated a dozen this year to the house - now I'll have to do more. Tree looks nice - thanks! I forgot to take a picture of mine before I sent them. Oh well.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Thanks for the post and the great job this year. I was unable to isolate this year's because before I knew it Pam was adding to the Ornioe tree with all the past Ornies, going to have to get a bigger tree for next year. Man, I didn't know Santa Clause had such a good looking gal.

Leave a comment:

• MNice99
    replied
    Great Pictures Steve, it was a fun exchange!

Here’s mine. Merry Chrismas everyone. And thanks everyone for the great ornaments.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    Nice display there, Steve, and lots of fine talent.

Leave a comment:

• Soggy
    replied
    Nice looking tree, ornaments, and couple. I would have loved to participated in the exchange this year, but the cost of shipping ornaments from Canada is prohibitive ( in excess of $ 10.00 per ornament), so I'll just have to enjoy everyone else's ornaments.
    Wayne

Leave a comment:

• Steve Reed
    replied
    Ok Folks here we go! The first pic is our 2018 Ornament Tree, 2nd is the ones I sent out, and 3rd, the culprits! Merry Christmas everyone and thanks for a wonderful exchange this year!
    Steve and Mrs Claus!

Leave a comment:

• Steve Reed
    replied
    Correct, you are Nikki!

Leave a comment:

• Spiritwolfe
    replied

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
    Sorry to be so late in replying, had to go get those pesky eyes shots for AMD yesterday & I'm pretty much limited to listen to TV
    It arrived yesterday, & I agree, a beautiful piece of wood. Nowhere do I remember Steve saying it had to be a carved Ornie. It was immediately put on the Ornie tree. Thanks for the exchange. I wonder why there is such a difference in the mail rate between the US & CA ??????????
    I take it this is for me and you got your ornament.
    You are welcome but I don’t think we are supposed to show them until after Christmas. That’s what Steve said.
    I didn’t have my carving tools . Just found them last week so now I can carve again. Yayyy.

Leave a comment:

• Just Carving
    replied
    Martin received your ornament. Thank you!

Bob L

Leave a comment:

Working...
X