Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donna_T
    replied
    He’s a real cutie, Mike. I got the pair of roughouts from Elaine but they are for next year. I try to carve a big santa for me each year and I’ve already started on 2020’s santa. I thought I’d see all of Harold’s roughouts, but this one was a nice surprise.
    Great carving and great painting!

Leave a comment:

• Kadiddle
    replied
    The big guy came out great. Really great. Thanks for the paint process. Thanks for showing.
    Carve On,
    Kadiddle

Leave a comment:

• Randy
    replied
    Outstanding Santa Mike! Wonderful expression. Great paint too. Well done. I still have issues with painting. Getting that soft look.

Leave a comment:

• Tinwood
    replied
    Nicely done!

Tinwood

Leave a comment:

• Dashriprock
    replied
    Wow the details are super. Really like the way his beard flows. Just well done.

Leave a comment:

• mpounders
    replied
    Originally posted by Claude View Post
    Well done, Mike! Definitely a large Santa! Love all the detail, and the eyes look happy to me. Did you use a darker base coat on the hair and fur, then dry brush over top, or did you antique it?

Claude
    Yes to all the above! I used just a light wash of black on the fur and then dry-brushed white over it. I start with a light wash of yellow on the beard, then use butter cream white to semi-dry brush it and then finish up with white dry brushed over the hair and beard. When the whole carving is dry, I "antique" it using my preferred method. I spray the whole thing with water and use a brush to apply washes of black in the corners and crevices and wherever I want a deeper shadow. I do this to the entire carving, face and clothes. After drying it, I apply satin polyurethane with a brush and blot the excess off with a per towel after a few minutes.

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied
    Well done, Mike! Definitely a large Santa! Love all the detail, and the eyes look happy to me. Did you use a darker base coat on the hair and fur, then dry brush over top, or did you antique it?

Claude

Leave a comment:

• mpounders
    replied
    Originally posted by Nebraska View Post
    Really nice job nice accents in the beard. Not wanting to sound inappropriate. But how big is Big Santa.
    He is about 16" tall and 6" wide.

Leave a comment:

• uvawyo
    replied
    Oh, that beard is awesome, as is the rest of the carving

Leave a comment:

• Mark N. Akers
    replied
    Very nice job Mike, great job carving.

Leave a comment:

• Curly Early
    replied
    We are talking quality workmanship here. I saved a copy to my images for inspiration on future Santas. Your beard carving is realistic, curves are done so well, the fur fringe on cap and coat was a lot of work, but done so well. This is one exceptional Santa, really well done! Earl

Leave a comment:

• Nebraska
    replied
    Really nice job nice accents in the beard. Not wanting to sound inappropriate. But how big is Big Santa.

Leave a comment:

• Nebraska
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike WNC View Post
    Amazing work. Great Job, boy do I have a ways to go....

I am a little disturbed at the question mark next to my name on Santa's list though.
    Mike
    At least your on the list! I’m a little worried now about those aspen logs I’d been asking for. My wife said don’t worry Christmas is coming. But now I’m not so sure.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    "but I knew that wasn't very likely", I have to say bull. It is always an enjoyment to look at your carvings with all the detail.

Leave a comment:

• JoeVM
    replied
    That sure is a nice Santa Mike. He looks happy just like you wanted.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X