Trying to find Desire to finish this Guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find Desire to finish this Guy

5" x3" x1.5" , Basswood , started him about 1 to 2 years ago , kept getting side tracked by other Carvings and now I need to get the Desire to finish him . I usually Carve Faces on the Corner but wanted to try carving on the Flat . Visually their is a difference . Got Pattern from Christmas Card . Got him all set up in Vise and waiting for the Desire to hit . I've been in this stage before as I think Everyone has and feel it's normal and Desire will return. I usually Sharpen my Tools but they are still Sharp from the last time I was in this Mood . Ha,Ha. Merle IMG_0004.JPGIMG_0005.JPGIMG_0006.JPG

I'm with you, Merle. Most carving projects have several phases - concept, pattern development, rough out, detailing, finish. Each can have some excitement or satisfaction. Some can be obstacles to moving on to completion. There are times when I have to tell myself that a few slices with my tools represent progress. Can you visualize the project in its final setting? The pleasure is someone's eyes (if it is intended as a gift.) Courage! Phil

Comment

I like the possibility that I'm seeing a carving with a totally textured surface.
      Make all the final chips exactly the same size.

Agreed, there are spells when "desire" is in very short supply. I've learned to live with it.
      Brian T

Comment

I empathize, Merle. If the spark of motivation leaves a work, I just table it for a while, return, and if still no desire the trash gets it.
        Bill
        Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Certainly the more we have invested in a project (10 hours, 100 hours) , the more difficult it is to give it up. This should not be an argument for doing only short projects.

Comment

What the heck Merle, Just looking at this fine carving would be enough to build the desire to finish him to me. Just a little more "V" & he would be ready for a finish of your choice.
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Phil, your right about just a Few Slices with the Tool . That is what will get me started again . Seeing that first Slice might lead to another , and then another , and etc. . I'll finish him in time that's for sure , Patience . Thanks for your commenting . Merle

Comment

Hi Brian , I'm living with it . Thanks Merle

Comment

Hi 807 , the Carving doesn't have me stumped , it's just that I don't feel like making Chips . Their is no doubt that I will finish him , hope before Christmas . Ha,Ha. Always good to hear your input . Merle

Comment

Hi Phil , I probably have about 12 hrs. into this Guy and about 10 more before he's done and not about to Scrap him yet . Thank You for your Thoughts . Merle

Comment

Hi Joe , His Face needs to be moved back about 1/8 " to make his Nose longer , if you notice the Flat Spot on the end of his Nose , that will give me wood to round it off. The Rough Out is finished , now the Fun part in Detailing needs to be done . I'm just not in the Mood to have Fun yet . Ha,Ha. Thanks for your Encouraging Words. Merle

Comment

Well Merle, A little Southern Comfort may help, and the fact that there are only 38 carvings days left till Christmas. Just pretend he is going on a walking stick.
                        If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

How about adding some wood on top of the nose?

When I discovered the need for more wood for the heads of these chameleons, it was much easier to glue it on:

Chameleons.jpg
                          Last edited by pallin; 11-18-2019, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Hi Tom , Ha,Ha, with some Southern Comfort he would probably end up as something a lot different than what he started out to be , probably a Tooth Pick . 38 days is probably just the time that I will need . Ha,Ha. Every morning I have intentions of starting to finish him , but then I don't feel like it . It's become a problem in my mind and starting to Irritate me , so might as well get it finished . Maybe tomorrow ? Ha,Ha. Thanks Tom , may take your Advise . Merle

Comment

Hi Phil , never thought of that , I'll check it out . Thanks for getting me started to think again . Merle

Comment

Working...
                              X