"And down the chimney he came"... I say, "and down the chimney he came!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "And down the chimney he came"... I say, "and down the chimney he came!"

Last week or so someone here on the Forum posted a carving of Santa stuck in the chimney! I thought it was a great idea and want who ever posted it to get the credit. Then I thought that I'd try my luck at one. No pattern available but plenty of examples in Google Images. I made my own. It's a fun little project and also gave me a chance to do some highlighting with my Colwood burner. What you see is the one and only Christmas decoration I've carved this year. Just no room in the house for a growth rate of more than one a year! Wife gave her approval and it's headed for the top of the bookcase.

Very nice carving and a cute theme. Just curious, where did the burner come in? The mortar joints in the brickwork? The reason I ask is that Santa may bring me the Walnut Hollow woodburner for Christmas and I am curious about all pf the ways in which it may be used.

Tim

Comment

Nice one, Eddy. I'm doing a batch but have the legs together and not separated, and instead of your black/dark "mortar" I planned on using white. However, your burned ones do make it another idea to reconsider. Like yours a lot.
      Bill
      Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

I kike it Eddie, Good brickwork!
        Herb

Comment

Very nice carving and painting Eddie.

Comment

Santa is going to have to start going easy on the cookies and milk if he keeps getting stuck in chimneys...
            Nice carving & painting Eddy..... the burner highlights really bring out the desired effect .
            Wayne
            If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by PittsburghTim View Post
              Very nice carving and a cute theme. Just curious, where did the burner come in? The mortar joints in the brickwork? The reason I ask is that Santa may bring me the Walnut Hollow woodburner for Christmas and I am curious about all pf the ways in which it may be used.

Tim
              Tim... Yes the brick mortar lines were burned in as well as the trim around Santa's coat. I wanted the trim to stand out and the easiest way is to highlight it.

Comment

Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
                Nice one, Eddy. I'm doing a batch but have the legs together and not separated, and instead of your black/dark "mortar" I planned on using white. However, your burned ones do make it another idea to reconsider. Like yours a lot.
                Burner... I make a project sheet with a pattern for all my endeavors, or most of them. The three ideas that I came up with were together, apart, and sticking out perpendicular to the chimney. I settled on middle ground based on the size wood I had available.

Comment

Hi Eddy , god job , it says a lot. Merle

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy View Post
                    Santa is going to have to start going easy on the cookies and milk if he keeps getting stuck in chimneys...
                    Nice carving & painting Eddy..... the burner highlights really bring out the desired effect .
                    Wayne
                    Thanks Soggy! Unfortunately Santa and I share the same problem and with the holidays right around the corner I haven't the slightest idea what I'm going to do about it. Neither going on a diet....or, saying to h#[email protected] with it and going for broke are not very appealing options!

Comment

I like the way yours turned out. looks like it is 4 sided, mine are off the triangular for wall hanging.
                      Denny

photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

Comment

That's a cute one Eddy.
                        Joe

Comment

Great little Santy Eddie!!
                          Steve
                          Steve Reed - Carvin' in the flatlands!
                          My FB page:https://www.facebook.com/stephen.ree...7196480&type=3

Comment

Originally posted by drhandrich View Post
                            I like the way yours turned out. looks like it is 4 sided, mine are off the triangular for wall hanging.
                            Doc... You're correct. Mine is 4-sided. First I cut off a 3.5 inch piece off a 2" practice stick. Then after gluing my pattern on I made a few selective cuts with my scroll saw to make roughing it out easier.

Comment

seems to me theyre lots of fun doing too, its quicker than some carvings, and the novelty of it gets noticed.
                              Denny

photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X