Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"And down the chimney he came"... I say, "and down the chimney he came!"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "And down the chimney he came"... I say, "and down the chimney he came!"

    Last week or so someone here on the Forum posted a carving of Santa stuck in the chimney! I thought it was a great idea and want who ever posted it to get the credit. Then I thought that I'd try my luck at one. No pattern available but plenty of examples in Google Images. I made my own. It's a fun little project and also gave me a chance to do some highlighting with my Colwood burner. What you see is the one and only Christmas decoration I've carved this year. Just no room in the house for a growth rate of more than one a year! Wife gave her approval and it's headed for the top of the bookcase.


  • #2
    Very nice carving and a cute theme. Just curious, where did the burner come in? The mortar joints in the brickwork? The reason I ask is that Santa may bring me the Walnut Hollow woodburner for Christmas and I am curious about all pf the ways in which it may be used.

    Tim

    Comment


    • #3
      Nice one, Eddy. I'm doing a batch but have the legs together and not separated, and instead of your black/dark "mortar" I planned on using white. However, your burned ones do make it another idea to reconsider. Like yours a lot.
      Bill
      Living among knives and fire.

      http://www.westernwoodartist.com

      Comment


      • #4
        I kike it Eddie, Good brickwork!
        Herb

        Comment


        • #5
          Very nice carving and painting Eddie.

          Comment


          • #6
            Santa is going to have to start going easy on the cookies and milk if he keeps getting stuck in chimneys...
            Nice carving & painting Eddy..... the burner highlights really bring out the desired effect .
            Wayne
            If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by PittsburghTim View Post
              Very nice carving and a cute theme. Just curious, where did the burner come in? The mortar joints in the brickwork? The reason I ask is that Santa may bring me the Walnut Hollow woodburner for Christmas and I am curious about all pf the ways in which it may be used.

              Tim
              Tim... Yes the brick mortar lines were burned in as well as the trim around Santa's coat. I wanted the trim to stand out and the easiest way is to highlight it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
                Nice one, Eddy. I'm doing a batch but have the legs together and not separated, and instead of your black/dark "mortar" I planned on using white. However, your burned ones do make it another idea to reconsider. Like yours a lot.
                Burner... I make a project sheet with a pattern for all my endeavors, or most of them. The three ideas that I came up with were together, apart, and sticking out perpendicular to the chimney. I settled on middle ground based on the size wood I had available.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hi Eddy , god job , it says a lot. Merle

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Soggy View Post
                    Santa is going to have to start going easy on the cookies and milk if he keeps getting stuck in chimneys...
                    Nice carving & painting Eddy..... the burner highlights really bring out the desired effect .
                    Wayne
                    Thanks Soggy! Unfortunately Santa and I share the same problem and with the holidays right around the corner I haven't the slightest idea what I'm going to do about it. Neither going on a diet....or, saying to h#[email protected] with it and going for broke are not very appealing options!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I like the way yours turned out. looks like it is 4 sided, mine are off the triangular for wall hanging.
                      Denny

                      photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        That's a cute one Eddy.
                        Joe

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Great little Santy Eddie!!
                          Steve
                          Steve Reed - Carvin' in the flatlands!
                          My FB page:https://www.facebook.com/stephen.ree...7196480&type=3

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by drhandrich View Post
                            I like the way yours turned out. looks like it is 4 sided, mine are off the triangular for wall hanging.
                            Doc... You're correct. Mine is 4-sided. First I cut off a 3.5 inch piece off a 2" practice stick. Then after gluing my pattern on I made a few selective cuts with my scroll saw to make roughing it out easier.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              seems to me theyre lots of fun doing too, its quicker than some carvings, and the novelty of it gets noticed.
                              Denny

                              photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X