Want to see my Father Christmas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to see my Father Christmas?

I put two pictures of my Father Christmas on our picture trail site, in Album No. 2  www.picturetrail.com  Member name carvers-R-us.  He's about eleven inches tall.  Hope you like him!
        I have a question, I called him Father Christmas but is that right, what's the difference between Father Christmas and an Old World Santa?  Callynne

Re: Want to see my Father Christmas?

Whatever you want to call him Callynne you did a terrific job!

Comment

Beautiful, Callynne -- just beautiful.
      Every detail -- each 2,000 -- is wonderful.

Comment

Ok, I admit to going to your site to look at the carving bench, but being nosey and looking at all your other stuff too. :-[ It's absolutely beautiful! I love the little rocking horse attached to his belt. Nicely done!

- Brian

Comment

Really great work, Callynne. Your hands work wonders with those carving tools, my friend.

I'm not sure of the origin of the term 'Father Christmas' and 'Old World Santa', but I think they're pretty much used interchangeably when describing the old-fashioned style of santa like you've done here - long, flowing robes, muted colors, no bright red and shiny black boots :-)

Teri

Comment

Excellant work callynne.You do honor to your chisels.

Comment

Callynne,

Wonderful!  I am impressed and also a little jealous, ha-ha.  I am just getting started in this wonderful hobby of woodcarving.  If you do not mind me asking a few questions about your Father Christmas.  How long did it take you from start to finish (if you kept track)?  What tools did you use besides a carving knife?  What kind of paint did you use and how did you finish him?  Do you own a bandsaw to cut out the blank?  If so, what size bandsaw do you have?  (I am currently shopping around for one and I am not really sure what to get).  Do you create your own patterns?  I hope that someday I will be able to create a work of art as you do now.  But I realize that woodcarving can be a lifetime of learning and I just need to be a little patient.  One more question (sorry for all the questions), where do you find time to carve, ha-ha?  

Beeguy

Comment

Beautifull job, Callynne! everything everyone said is TRUE!

Al

Comment

callyne.
                  Beautiful job I wish I was as talented. In answer to your question what is the difference between Old World Santa and Father Christmas from what I know is that the old world santa is usually associated with Europe on the whole in countries like Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Austria etc. Where father christmas is what he is called in England. Having said that I think that he is also called father christmas as well in Austrailia and N.Z. I have visited in Europe a far bit and that is what I have been led to believe.
                  I enjoy all of your comments and love your work take care talk at you soon I am sure
                  Colin
                  Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
                  Jackson, MS

Comment

Thanks everyone for the compliments!  Also for the answers on the Father Christmas question, I like the name so think that's what I'll refer to this style of Santas as.  Santa Claus will be the 'Night Before Christmas' style.  I love doing both equally as much!
                        Beeguy, in answer to your questions, yes, I use a bandsaw to cut out the blank, don't recommend what I have though, it's a little 10' Sears Craftsman and I'll be replacing it soon, it's just too little.  Although I will keep it for doing smaller pieces and 'trimming', the longer I'm at this the more I'm looking to remove as much as possible before handcarving!  
                        I haven't decided between the Delta and the Jet for my new one, hubby has been checking on them and he likes the big Jet....although I think he's thinking about slicing steaks off a venison hindquarter with it!  
                        I use the Proxxon Reciprocating carver and a reciprocating Flexshaft attachment to a dremel to do the roughing out, switching back and forth as one heats up.  Hey, once I get started I hate stopping!!
                        I love Dave Lyons knives and Dockyard Micro Tools.  I have an almost flat Denny gouge I couldn't do without and that's pretty much my 'weopons' of choice.
                        Yes, I draw up my own patterns, use Acrylic paints and antiquing medium.  As for when do I find time to carve...I grab time in the daytime (I babysit, so the kids determine how much I get to do) and in the evening in my recliner....read the 'Portable Carving Desk' post!  
                        Thanks for the interest (and all the kind words), ask me anything....I'll just write another chapter! Ha!  Can you tell from the length of my posts I've been away for a few days??  :   Callynne

Comment

Hi Callynne...I'm curious about the reciprocating attachment for a Dremel. I haven't seen one locally, but thats not to say they aren't out there.
                      Does the shaft require a special drive or does it fit on a conventional Dremel tool? Are the blades specific to the system or would it take, for instance, Flexcut gouges?
                      I know from past threads that you really like the Proxxon system, in your opinion how do the two compare? Finally could you tell us the approx. cost?
                      Sorry for all the questions, but I'm always on the lookout to add to my arsenal.

Comment

Hey Captain, I love the Flex Shaft attachment, it's for small to medium carvings so I do the really 'heavy' work with my Proxxon.  It cuts every bit as good as the Proxxon and I like the 'change' of sizes, as far the hand hold goes, tendinitis taught me that changing grips is important.  
                            Do you have Woodcraft's January catalog?  If so it's on page 110, it costs $49.99 (well worth it!) and doesn't require anything extra to fit on your Dremel.  The blades that come with it weren't 'recommended' and they require honing so I have never tried them (unlike my Proxxon blades).  The good thing is the Flexcut blades fit it directly, you won't need an adapter.  I don't think you'll be disappointed with it at all if you decide to get one.  Let me know how you like it, if you do get one.
                            Beeguy, I realized after I logged off yesterday that I hadn't answered your question about how long it took to carve my Father Christmas.  Three weeks total.  That's pretty good for me, I have averaged a piece a month since I started.  I count him as two carvings since the tree was carved separately!  Looking at it that way I am really getting 'speedy'! Ha! Ha!  Callynne

Comment

I just bought the Dremel shaft attachment and it works great! (rotary) as I haven't tried the reciprocating. I see in the catalogs that the reciprocating hand piece will fit some of the dremel models, but I have the old one and it looks like that one won't work. Have to check around......

Al

Comment

Thx for the reply...I don't have the Woodcraft catalogue, but will try to get one and also check to see if any of the local suppliers either have, or can order the attachment.
                            Lets see : ...if I convert $49.99 U.S. to Cnd. funds, that should only be about $500.00.
                            By the way, I've tried to change my name so as not to be confused with the Capt., but haven't been able to get it to work. As I mentioned when I first joined, the similarity was not intentional. I'll keep trying, but have to admit I'm a computor nincompoop. :-[

Comment

I'm sorry Bandaid, it's my fault for not paying closer attention....I'll try to make it up to you by telling you to check out www.chippingaway.com it's in Canada so it would be a better place to get your Flex Shaft attachment.
                                  As far as changing your name, considering how 'touchy' this place is with changing things, I wouldn't recommend it....hard to tell who you might end up being!!    Callynne

Comment

Working...
                              X