group of Santas for 2012 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• group of Santas for 2012 Season

So, it's back to work for all of us Santaholics..... I have to work all year long to have things for the season at the end of the year. I'm actually a bit ahead of schedule this time around as I started carving for this coming season, late last year. I decided to carve a bunch and wait until the first cold spell made my shop too uncomfortable to work in, at which point I would move into the house and paint what ever carvings I had accumulated. So, here are is a group of 5 standing figures. The tallest is 11 inches tall, the shortest is 5 inches. All but one are basswood, the one that isn't, is tupelo.

Here is the group as well as individual shots of the tallest guy, a candle stick figure with an empty sack in one hand and the trade mark candy cane in the other. He has a very long stocking cap on that is slightly twisted.

The other figure is holding a wrapped gift with a bow. He is in 2 pieces because I didn't have enough wood in front to get it done without an ad-on. The hands and the gift are one piece that will be pegged on with a dowel after painting.

Re: group of Santas for 2012 Season

The tupelo piece is holding a Teddy Bear in one hand and a horn in the other. He also has the "obligatory" candy cane tucked under one arm. It probably won't show up very well until painted. If you look in the group photo, the teddy bear is showing. The individual side shot of that side, didn't turn out well....sorry.

The final two are a couple of "rolly pollys". The larger one has a candy cane in one hand an is dragging along a ginger bread man in the other. I tried to do some burning on the beard and hair but am not very comfortable working with a burner yet. I hope to remedy that in a class that I'm taking later on this month.

The little guy is just very "cheeky" and holding a candy cane.... medium stocking cap.

Now off to set up the painting table and drag out all the paints.....and sip some green tea....cheers.

Comment

Those are exceptional carvngs. I am looking forward to seeing the painted.

Comment

Thank you Dan...... me too. sigh. There is always a drawback to waiting until you have a bunch of stuff to paint. I love to paint but not for such a long stretch. LOL. wish me luck.

Comment

Hi,
          Let's see the first one's face! Very nice...you've got a head start on the rest of us.
          Sharon

Comment

SusieQ,
            Wonderful carvings!

Comment

Great looking Santas. Each has a good look. Like your work!
              jim

Comment

Very nice! I especially like the way you do the hair and the beards.

Tom H
                http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

Nice carvings!
                  Claude
                  My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                  My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                  My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                  My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

I keep getting more and more jealous ~sigh~
                    Great work Susie

Comment

That's a nice looking bunch of Santas ,looking forward to seeing them finished.

Comment

Thank you for your kind comments......
                        The day didn't progress as planned. Company dropped in, someone came by to purchase a piece of exercise equipment we had for sale, and other interruptions. Got some face colors on and that was about it.

Also noticed that the cheeks on the tupelo piece, are not even...darn I hate it when I see stuff like that after thinking I was all set. Will have to try to get out in the shop on Thursday and even them up. It's not much but it will bug me if I don't fix it. Tonight it's supposed to be a hard freeze here on the Gulf Coast, with a warmup right afterwards. The shop will be too chilly to work in until day after tomorrow so that's the soonest the cheeks can be evened.

Thank you again for taking a look.

Comment

Those are beautiful. You are well ahead of Christmas 2012!

Comment

I'm having a hard time coming up with the words to say how fantastic your carving are. If I carved as wonderfully as you do, I'd hate to see them go.

Comment

Outstanding work, I just love them!
                              . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Working...
                              X