Large Relief of Amalfi Coast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large Relief of Amalfi Coast

I had decided not to start any new Escher-inspired relief carving after nine months on the recent one. The walls in my house are pretty much covered with carvings. But then I browsed through my big book of Escher's work . . .

This is a woodcut he did in November 1934 titled "Coast of Amalfi" - 16" x 27-1/2" It is a "construction," that is, made up of pieces from different places. Looks like fun.

Amalfi.JPG

Phil, that does look like fun!
    Arthur

Comment

Simple one this time huh. Just how many pieces will it have. One thing you don't have buy a lots of wood. Each of your project allow you to settle in and just work.
      . . . JoeB
      . . .JoeB

Comment

The initial steps are the pattern and the wood. The illustration in the book will have to be enlarged 710%, so I'll have to tape pieces together for the size I want - 16" x 27-1/2" The basswood doesn't come that size either, so it will require a glue-up. I have usually done such glue-ups myself, but this time I'll have Heineke Wood Products do it.
        Actually, I have a single piece of wood with these dimensions - a plank of Genizaro that I bought in Nicaragua for $5 - but I've already started a relief carving in it.

Comment

JoeB - When Escher described the original as a "construction of pieces" he meant the scene includes buildings, beaches, landforms, etc. that are not all visible from one viewpoint as implied in the scene. The carving will be one piece even if done as a glue-up.

Comment

Escher"s work is amazing. That will be quite a project. I will forward to seeing your your progress.

Comment

I find myself already sorting out the levels of the relief just looking at the design.

Comment

I wasn't kidding when I said the walls of my place are covered with carvings. Here's a couple of photos to prove my point.

hallway.jpg hallway2.jpg

Comment

Very cool rooms, and carvings, reminds me of my own place.

Bob
                  Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Perhaps this is not exciting to others, but today I received the wood blank for this carving. Heinecke Wood Products did a fantastic job with the oversized glue-up. Time to strop the gouges!

Amalfi1.jpg

Comment

First cuts! With trepidation I slice into this huge, beautiful slab of basswood.
                      I've traced the major lines on the blank and determined the deepest level of the design - the shoreline in the center. This deepest level is partly defined by the edge of the large building (right) and the dark shape (left). This will probably be half the thickness of the wood, but I start cautiously.

amalfi3.jpg

Comment

And the journey begins with a simple slice, man o man, As usual, we will all be watching. Just how big is the slab?
                        . . . JoeB
                        . . .JoeB

Comment

The wood blank is 1-1/2" x 16" x 27-1/2" - Tools at start: knife, #3F-5mm, #3F-16mm (fishtail) gouges.

OMG - that's enough wood for FIFTY 5" wizards! LOL
                          Last edited by pallin; 08-24-2016, 07:35 PM. Reason: Added comment

Comment

Phil love the design work of that one, it is going to be great when you get it done like always. Looking forward to seeing the progress on that. I love the man on the rope.....Is that an old one of yours?
                            . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Thanks Pallin
                              . . .JoeB
                              . . .JoeB

Comment

Working...
                              X