Not pleased

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not pleased

A while back JoeVM did a carving in Cottonwood. I've alway enjoy carving in CW, but my stock had grown somewhat depleted. I glue together a couple of pieces to see how that would go, and it went OK, but the wood wasn't the most solid bark. Anyway, I had never tried painting CW as JoeVM had done, so I thought I would work up something to paint. I never really have a pattern of design in mind when I start carving in CW, just kind of let the bark guide me.

As I started cleaning the wood to get to the more solid bark, it just kept going deeper and deeper. I ended up just carving some stuff into the bark. My painter took one look and back away . I found the bark seemed to have oil in the bark. If I tried spraying it with water, it didn't really absorb too well. Even the acrylic paint kind of beaded up and required letting it dry and then going over it a couple of times.

The only thing that I was happy with, I got what looks like window pains in the window areas.

As alway C&C welcome 10-12-2016 12-06-33 PM.jpg
    . . .JoeB

Joepaul, can't say as I ever had a piece of bark that was oily. It is usually dry and absorbs acrylics very fast. I use oil stains to paint my bark, the color doesn't seem to get as heavy and plastic looking. I mix artists oil paints with natural minwax stain. It's much easier to get a wash on the bark this way. I'm thinkin if your bark had some kind of oil in it my oil staining idea might have worked.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Ya, I thought that the acrylic paint would just suck into the bark, but? I usual wet my wood with water before painting with acrylic paints, it seems let acrylic paint absorb into the wood more. This bark came from Alaska and is about five years old, it was kind of a puzzle to me. I usually just use Watco danish oil on the CW carvings I do, but thought I would try the paint. A learning experience and at least I got windows in this one
      . . .JoeB

Comment

I never had that problem JoeB. Paint or no, I like your design.
        Joe

Comment

I like your little cottage in the woods. I don't think the painting looks that bad either, maybe a little flat colors. Perhaps a light wash with sienna would pick up the colors some. But PLEASE try this on scrape before doing it. You may not like it at all.

Comment

I reckon these things happen Joe, but it still looks pretty darn good. No idea about the oil.
            Terry

Comment

Don't think I'd change too much Joe, looks pretty good to me.

Tinwood

Comment

JoeVM~after I got the punky wood removed I was stumped, so just started carving, Thanks
                Sappy~Thanks for the suggestion and comment, I'll come back to the painting after awhile.
                Terry~thanks for the comment, Maye it isn't oil, but the paint sure didn't react to the wood as I was expecting. I had buff the entire carving with maroon 3M pads before painting to remove any body oil
                Tinwood~Thanks. It was an experience for me in painting and gluing, keep trying to blow the cobwebs out of the old head

. . .JoeB

Comment

Sappy~I didn't use the was as you suggested. I used some stuff call "True Flow Acrylic Closs Medium" Got really shiny
                  Opinions welcomed. I've loaded the after and before for easy of a comparison.
                  Attached Files
                  . . .JoeB

Comment

Nice job on a great scene.

I like to paint my bark carvings with artist's oils thinned with Minwax Natural 209 stain for a nice washed color look. Here's an example:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looking good Joe! I use that product too. You can tint that and do washes too.

Comment

Carver33~I've never ventured into oils, acrylic keep me busy trying to figure them ou, but thanks for the idea. I do like your whimsical carving
                        . . .JoeB

Comment

Sappy, do you just add a little acrylic colored paint?
                          Last edited by joepaulbutler; 10-15-2016, 06:43 PM.
                          . . .JoeB

Comment

Yes, the more you add the more opaque it will be, so if you just want a wash of color a little dab will do you. I always try it on scrape first to be sure it is the shade I want, and always try it on the color you are wanting to cover. You can add water to thin it more, but that is up to you.

Comment

Thanks Sappy
                              . . .JoeB

Comment

Working...
                              X