Eagle head walking stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagle head walking stick

Several years ago I started work on a walking cane. It was set aside and almost forgotten.

Then a few weeks ago a friend advised that he was going to have to have a knee replacement and liver transplant. He is very tall and was bemoaning the fact that he would have to find a "plain jane cane" that was adjustable. Finally I told Robert that if it was really bothering him that bad I would see if I could adjust the one I had started to suit his height. Wow! It was perfect for him. No adjustment necessary. So, I have slowed work on the snowy owl and am bringing both projects along together.

I had intended to continue the oak leaf/acorn motif on to the head of the cane. But I simply cannot get away from my love of birds and beasts. This piece had been started and worked with hand tools. But, I am now under a time constraint and am going with carving knife, diamond ball, and diamond point burr.
    Attached Files

Paul, that will be a beautiful cane.
    Arthur

Comment

Nice job Paul, I like the design. Those acorn and leaf design is just the right touch.

Bob
      Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

This is going to be a super cane, Paul. If I might ask, is the shaft a limb and the handle a part of the tree? and what are you using for a cane tip? Just looking for more knowledge
        . . .JoeB

Comment

Looking good so far Paul and Definitely a Good Subject. Merle

Comment

Thanks for the compliments my Frien's.

The cane is two pieces of basswood. One for most of the cane and a second (in fhe form of an L) to attach the handle

I purchased the cane from another carver. He specializes in walking canes and has an ingenious idea for the tip. I occasionally carve staffs and like the idea of this end (and purchased it so that I had an example on hand) which can be used both off beaten paths or on the hard surface of a road or sidewalk.

A tenon cutter that fits on the end of a cordless drill is used to prepare the end. A piece of copper pipe with the interior dimension of the tenon goes on next and the length adjusted to match the end of the stick. The actual end is a rubber device that is designed to go on the bottom of furniture legs. It is slightly larger than the copper and protects both it and the wood. It has a recessed hole in the middle and a dry wall screw holds it on the cane. All parts are purchased at the local chain hardware store and thus are easily replaced.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Paul_Guraedy; 11-05-2016, 07:29 AM. Reason: Edited with additional information

Comment

Yeah, that's going to be a beauty when it's done Paul. Very nice. Nice idea on the replaceable bits as well.

Tinwood

Comment

Thanks, Paul. I'm still having an argument in my mind about the cardigan style cane VS a topper. Just would want to give someone a cane that the hand broke off. I've posted before how I attach the topper to the cane. I've been thinking about a way to use some 1/4" pipe and an elbow to strengthen the handle. I've included a picture of the tips that I put on the canes, very similar, I just use a reducer and the same type of rubber leg foot. For a shaft, I use a 1' poplar dowel.
                Again thanks for sharing Tip.jpg
                . . .JoeB

Comment

Nice, Paul! Going to be a beautiful cane.
                  Brandant Robinson
                  Woodcarving Blog - www.theoldstump.blogspot.com
                  Custom Folding Knives - https://www.therobinsonedge.com/
                  Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/brandant.robinson.1

Comment

Well done Paul. nice detail work on the shank. It will be a great looking stick.
                    We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
                    https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

I meant to comment on this earlier but forgot . This is a really lovely gesture Paul. I'm sure your friend will be pleased as punch. Will you show us pics of it finished?

Comment

I will post final pics but it will be Jan/Feb or so. I am working hard to get the snowy owl done and in the mail prior to Xmas.

Comment

Working...
                        X